*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Newbie Conversion Questions

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Newbie Conversion Questions

Postby khblue » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi,
Hope I'm in the right forum, if not please point me somewhere else.

We're about to have twins and still want a couple of spare seats, so need a six seat vehicle.
I can't afford a Peugeot Expert Teepee ! So I'm looking at converting, or buying a converted van, possibly Transit.

I didn't realise how mind bending this was going to be, so I've lots of questions.

What are the different vehicle license classifications that I could use for a 3 seat to 6 seat converted van ?
If I buy a converted van, and the license already says '6 seats' will I still have to get an IVA in April 2012 ?
What do rear windows have to do with anything, it seems they have an effect ?
If I buy a 2005 van with a conversion using non-M1 classification seats will I have to get them replaced in 2012 ?
How would I know if it was a factory built 6 seater or a conversion (assuming that I didn't trust the seller) ?
Do I still need documentation for the insurer even though it was converted when I bought it ?
Which insurer can I phone to get clear answers and a sensible approach ?

Please help, I hope you can see where I'm at and give useful advice. I thought this was going to be a cheaper route to a 6 seater small van and it's starting to explode my head.

Thanks
Kevin

khblue

khblue

Re: Newbie Conversion Questions

Postby MinorMatt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Why not get a tourneo and take the rear seats out?
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby khblue » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks,

Definitely one of the options, though not cheap and the bodies seem to disintegrate.

There are things like low mileage Sudo/Expert/Dispatch wheelchair conversions that go cheaply, but come with having to figure out all the legal issues.
khblue

Postby pedracer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:41 pm

I own a 5 seat vw t4, it was supplied to the aa in that spec, registered as a "diesel car". TBH it's far superior to transits, in build and handling. but you pay relatively huge money for them. Having said that, 44mpg at 70mph on the motorway, and 35mpg when towing or driving "with spirit" somwhat softened the purchase price.
There may be aa/rac transit versions out there with 5 seats, they use a multitude of different vehicles now.
pedracer
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AlanN » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Theres a forum for those little things. :lol: :roll:
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby furnitureman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm

I converted mine to a 7 seat end of last year I contacted insurance (NFU) no problems with them then I contacted dvla all they asked was were the seats I fitted ford and with either built in or separate seat belts then asked for some pictures they also like the van to have windows I got the v5 back and it was altered too 7 seats panel van with windows hope this helps have a look at my post viewtopic.php?f=27&t=78871
MK7 2006, 2.4 tdci, 140ps + TUNIT box = 165ps jumbo rwd known as "Big Blue" to the kids.
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Buyers Guide