*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Buying advice

Use this forum to highlight the areas to check when looking to buy a Transit

Moderator: Luke

Buying advice

Postby shornbuc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Looking at an Ex BT van Mk5 2.5 non turbo with 88,000 on the clock for £1,600.

Apart from recent cambelt , knocking sounds , blue smoke , mayonaise , service history is there anything I should be looking for ?

I have been told by fellow Transit owners that a MK5 with the non turbo 2.5 is a good bet for relaibilty , cheap parts , easy to fix without too much electronics to go wrong. I will be taking it back to France so I need to be able to fix it myself so it needs to be easy DIY model.

Am I going for the right engine and model ?
shornbuc
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Buying advice

Postby jay » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:22 pm

reliable yes..but check for rust everywhere..but it can still be repaired and you can buy left hand drive headlights still if you need them for french mot..
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Aardvark » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:16 pm

IF that mileage is genuine, and IF there's not too much rust underneath, grab it quick. Fill it up with cheap spares and bring them with you back to France. Spares here are unbelieveably expensive. for example- a motor factor here wanted €185 for a set of brake pads for mine. Got them off Ebay UK for £32 delivered to France. A second hand MT75 gearbox cost me €200 here and the same week someone on this forum was flogging one for £60. Your best option for the headlamps will be Ebay Germany or possibly some other online European source.
Learning to love rust.........
Aardvark
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby shornbuc » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Thanks for the advice , if it's the 2.5 about 1999 will it be the MT75 gear box then ?

I've spent hours looking online for a complete model history with engine numbers etc but can't seem to find a good site , hence joining this forum.

Is there a website that is great for spares in the UK ? I was thinking of taking : oil , filters , complete brake set , wheel bearings , gearbox oil , maybe a clutch kit ? Anything else you would suggest ?

I had another question these BT vans have the heaters fitted in them that run of the fuel tank and are ignited by the battery. Why would BT vans have those fitted ? They are more camper van kit aren't they ?

The reason I'm buying the van is because I am a Joiner ( www.lecharmedechene.com ) and I need to increasingly carry large front doors etc. I need to know the internal space in the short wheel base models. Again I can't find this info online.
shornbuc
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:55 am

All MK5 use the MT75 gearbox.

BT vans have fuel burning heaters to provide heated rest space for BT employees.

Internal length of a SWB MK5 fitted with bulkhead is abount 2250mm
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Return to Buyers Guide