*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

old custom vans

Post pictures of Non-member Transits here!

Moderator: Luke

Re: old custom vans

Postby foggy08 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:01 pm

wow what a thread ,brought back so many memories of going to the custom car show at bell vue in manchester in the 70s ( my first time across the border ) . we sneaked off for the weekend ( telling our parents we were staying at each others houses ) and drove down in a 1968 capri . not one of us had a licence ,we were all about 15-16 at the time . the car was not taxed motd or insured . and to make matters worse, we got stopped by the cops....." where did you steal the car boys " ......we didnt its ours ......." well off you go then ". :shock: ...... :D :D :D :D :D try that today .......suppose it wasnt worth the paper work .
ouch ..suarez bit my finger
foggy08
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AlanN » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks Peter for keeping this up to date, way before my time sadly, but we should keep the sprit alive :wink:
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby transitandy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 pm

AlanN wrote:Thanks Peter for keeping this up to date, way before my time sadly, but we should keep the sprit alive :wink:

X2 Well said Alan :)
TRANSIT M8, SAY NO MORE YOUR IN...... FORD THROUGH TO THE BONE......
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby petervanlee » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks for your kind words

Over the years their have been a number of conspiracy theories about Custom vans and not just Fords that were around in the 1970s, Loads of people seem to know just where they are, in barns, lockups, and round the back of Garages… Sadly to say this is very rarely true, I have just finished a number of interviews with the guys that built these custom vans… To get the full story I have also interveiwed Ford designers and engineers from the 1960s to the present day… for a book i am writing on the Transits history that comes out next year………… Loads of stuff all new and historic has come to life seventy five thousand words and 300 picture's most of them have never been seen before… It has taken a year but hopefully it will record all the details of what happened. Including some custom van stuff.. Cant say much more till the book comes out but I am thinking of doing some seminar stuff at the Transit van club event later in the year………. Peter
I just Love Transits
petervanlee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AlanN » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:12 pm

I did talk about you book at a NSVA meet late last year, as you know Ive reviewed a few books for the MK3 Massive Magazine, newsletter and generally they aren't telling you much that hasn't been repeated, so Im very much looking forward to your publication. Oh by the way, I'll contact you about that article for the Newsletter some time, just been a little preoccupied with other things :roll: but issue three should be ready soon and I can then think about next years and something from yourself.
Best of luck with it

AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby petervanlee » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Yes,! I remember our chat the N.S.V.A AGM is aways a great time to sit down and talk, You are welcome to come round and take a look the stuff once the book is finished..
I have Lots of information and Ford stuff coming out of the woodwork………..
I just Love Transits
petervanlee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AlanN » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Yes love to do that, look forward to it :)

AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby Vandalism » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:30 pm

sounds like a very interesting book indeed 8)
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby petervanlee » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Yes I hope people will like it………. I have gone to a lot of trouble to make sure it is correct….
I just Love Transits
petervanlee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:09 pm

does anyone actually know how many old custom vans there are left on the road that were about in the 70 s and 80 s :?: :?: :?:
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby petervanlee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Around 3 or 4 the rest have not been seen for over 25 years….. If you get a chance look in old street machine and custom van magazines.. they are all for sale for silly money but no one got them…………Pity
I just Love Transits
petervanlee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 pm

I have about 80 or 90 hot car and custom car mags in the loft 76 -80 ish theres plenty in there to see but even the ones that did nt make the magazines theres none about,, but you never know whats out there stashed away
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby petervanlee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:31 pm

I am pretty sure we will never see them again Been looking twenty years for these vans I know of one Fine city vans custom van in a garage……… thats the only one we have not seen…..
I just Love Transits
petervanlee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:24 am

petervanlee wrote:I am pretty sure we will never see them again Been looking twenty years for these vans I know of one Fine city vans custom van in a garage……… thats the only one we have not seen…..

well my mk1 v8 van was put in a lockup in 1986 and sat there until 2006 when it was being developed if there was no developer it would most likely be still sat there,, odds are like you say they were a fortune to buy back then so they wer nt scrapped lightly and theres still time for them to surface as internet connections grow
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby petervanlee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:05 am

To store vans now is so much money and to get them running again is not easy so sort to say most people just can't be bothered,,,,
I just Love Transits
petervanlee
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Non-member transits Gallery!