*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

chain tensioner MK6

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

chain tensioner MK6

Postby Ronj » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:44 am

Good morning
Return to Transit use after many years (bought a camper couple years or so back)
can anyone explain the difference with the "modified" tensioner for the MK6 2.4 chain tensioner.
From what I can see the set angle and locking ratchet.
I have put new head - cam box and inlet rocker shaft also changed damaged rockers, but on fitting the chain kit supplied by engineering company I found even on the small amount of revolutions by hand there was a distinct "Weep" at the base of the tensioner face ? so basically removed cleaned and thinking there may have been something in between the faces i replace but leaked again. As a test I decided to put old tensioner back this did not leak.
Long story short decided to fit OEM FAI kit but looking at the tensioner it is different altogether. I have fitted many of these FAI kits on previous occasions (but not on transits) maybe better the devil you know.
Has any one fitted this type of tensioner ?
Ronj
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: chain tensioner MK6

Postby wojciech » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:54 pm

The newer tensioner has a larger diameter of the pusher tip and it does not fit into the groove of the old blade tensioner (see photo). The older tensioner is No. 2S7Q-6K261-BA, 1138760, 1102690, 1113261. In the second photo, insert the smaller diameter of the pusher.

When did you change the head and cam box, did you change the original set? The head and the cam box are machined together in the factory and from then on they are an inseparable set with one number. The cam box from another head may not fit, the holes for the camshafts may not be the correct shape. In a situation like this, a lot depends on luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Ronj » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:37 pm

Thank you for prompt reply
I'm in the process of rebuilding at the moment. I have changed the head and carrier together, fitting valves as required.
No problem until I fitted the Tensioner Kit supplied by the engineering company, not impressed with Quality so decided to get OEM set recommended by a good mechanic I know.
Prior to ordering FAI kit looking at gears and tensioner i noticed on-line the tensioner is of the later type you mention, are these to replace the original type?
as a modification I have asked at ford but current part is all I managed to get.
My camper has only done 46K but as far as I know has been serviced correctly, I change the oil and filter every year sometimes at only 2K.
Regards RonJ
Ronj
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby wojciech » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:08 pm

As far as I know, a tensioner with a pusher with a smaller diameter was used until the end of the production of the Mk6 2.4l model. It does not exist in the Mk7 model, there is the one with a pusher with a larger diameter.
But in 2004 (?) the tensioner with a thicker pusher 1406306 (4C1Q-6K261-BA) was introduced and then other blade tensioners must also be installed. So for some time the Mk6 2.4 model used two different tensioners and blade tensioners.

I checked numbers - it does not exist in the Mk7 model.
Are these tensioners with a larger diameter pusher interchangeable between the Mk6 and Mk7 models - I do not know. Better, however, not to try to check.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Ronj » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:47 pm

Hi All again
MK6 2.4 common rail 2005 6 speed RWD
Sorry this has maybe been discussed many times, but I can't find a distinct answer.
with regard to the types of tensioner
Is there a preference of either tensioner to fit, did the wider piston type update the other.
Looking at the different kits the second type looks to be fitted to the mk6 & mk7 ?
So do we now fit the later / bigger piston type
Ronj
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby andz327 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:29 pm

Buy a genuine ford tensioner and chain(preferably the whole kit) i had a FIA chain snap after 16k miles and with what you've done i definitely only fit genuine, OE isn't same as GENUINE

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ronj » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:49 pm

Thanks for that I'm thinking the same direction as you, but which type tensioner would you prefer with regard to the two types ?
In the past I have always carried out my own repairs on my motorcycles and any vehicle we own, getting a bit to old and stiff now so would like to do this only one time, I did try to farm the job out but with it being parked in our yard no one seemed to want to do it.
From what I have read on the forum the situation with the timing chain situation non seem too too impressive, mine has I think only 46K from new and has been serviced well always good oil and at yearly intervals, I have always allowed it to warm up before driving off, no chain noise at all just one evening jumped 2-3 teeth on inlet, totally surprised always ran really nice quiet on tick over, when i pulled it down I got it to jump a tooth with a "flick" back reverse rotation.
there was a lot of travel on tensioner and chain worn well.
I would prefer to know which type everyone has tried and preffered.
Regards to all and thanks for all information
Ronj
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Ronj » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:46 pm

PLEASE PLEASE put me in the picture if you could just take pity,
I have purchased the later tensioner and wear pad with the larger piston, but I can actually push the piston back in totally, hence on reverse load (crank rotation)the inlet cam is chain light and would not take much to jump, which is the best type to fit ? the later larger piston or the one with the ratchet at side of piston.
I have read failures on both ?
Ronj
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby andz327 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:44 am

Is it a genuine Ford tensioner , will usually say FoMoCo (but not always) on it like this mk7 one thats on ebay , RATES FORD sell on ebay and have both tensioners but they're nearly twice the price of their mk7 and no fomoco on it, i Personally would go for the newer bigger piston type and genuine ford parts and just get on with it as i think your starting to read too much into it now regarding reading about tensioner failures on both types and you'll end up demented on what decision to make

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
ImageImage
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:43 am

How you getting on ????

andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby V184 » Mon May 03, 2021 9:04 pm

andz327 wrote:How you getting on ????

Fine thanks :lol: :lol: :lol:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andz327 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:18 am

V184 wrote:
andz327 wrote:How you getting on ????

Fine thanks
And what can u do for V184 today....guess one was a bit tipsy on bank holiday Monday

andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions