*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lucas Epic problem

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Lucas Epic problem

Postby Catman47 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi all

I own a 1999 Ford Transit based Herald Insignia motorhome…………my mechanic has told me after extensive diagnostic test that the fuel pump needs changing.
I have sourced a replacement pump from Germany ready to swap. I have stripped the front of the engine down and have set the timing correctly. ….The problem I have now is removing the faulty pump from the vehicle………I have disconnected all fuel pipes front and back also the multi connection plug at the rear. According to the manual there are three bolts holding the front and the bolts on the pump to engine bracket.
I have removed these and I still it will not budge…………..What am I missing guys……Plese help……much appreciated.
Catman47
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Lucas Epic problem

Postby MinorMatt » Sat May 15, 2021 2:33 pm

The pump is physically secured to the vehicle by 5 bolts - 3 behind the timing pulley, and 2 at the back of the pump to the engine block. You need to undo the 2 going in to the engine block rather than the 2 going in to the pump, otherwise there isn't enough space for it to withdraw.

It sounds like you have removed all these so it may just be a bit of corrosion in the bore of the alloy front plate? Just give it a heftu wiggle and it should come free
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MinorMatt » Sat May 15, 2021 2:35 pm

Forgive the crap arrows...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Catman47 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:27 pm

Hi Minor Matt
Thank You for the info and diagram……..Success the pump parted company by prising it back towards the bulk head. And so the re-build begins.
Fingers crossed it all goes well and she fires up ready to ……Chug Chug off into the sunset.
Once again …….Good Man….much appreciated.
Catman47
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions