*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Instruments - Mileage and Connector

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk7 Instruments - Mileage and Connector

Postby ColourRestorer » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:05 am

I have a 2013 Jumbo 155T350 to which I have successfully fitted cruise control using Loot’s comprehensive instructions (thanks Loot). It was fairly painless because the van already had the hi spec BCM, and I bought Forscan to enable it, and found a steering wheel on eBay for £100 which was filthy but has cleaned up quite nicely.

Having got a taste for this, I would now like Trip/Temperature so have picked up a suitable indicator stalk on eBay (£38) and likewise a temperature sensor (£10), and most importantly a high spec instrument cluster (£75).

The instrument cluster has just arrived but it occurs to me that there is possibly an issue with mileage.

Presumably, in addition to the Instrument Cluster, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the Body Control Module (BCM) also both ‘know’ the current mileage. Can anyone confirm this, please?

If I plug in the new Instrument Cluster and it already has reached a higher mileage than my original cluster, what will happen? I very much doubt that the cluster will adjust itself downwards, but more worryingly, will the PCM and BCM suddenly ‘jump’ to the new higher mileage, and will that jump be irreversible?

In the short term, before getting too excited it occurs to me that I ought to power up the new instrument cluster on the bench just to see what mileage it actually reads. To that end, does anybody please have the connector pin out for the later (i.e. post 2010, high spec) Mk7 instrument cluster?

Alternatively, I’ve already bought the Extended Licence version of Forscan, so maybe I can rectify any mileage discrepancy myself – but that may not be an appropriate topic for a public discussion – especially since I’ve got such a low post history. That said, I hope to keep the van indefinitely, so other than explaining a one-off massive annual mileage to my insurance company, it won't be the end of the world if I end up with the first million mile Transit. None the less I should like to make a proper fix if at all possible.

Many thanks in advance.
2013 'Jumbo' Transit 155T350 EF in Blazer Blue
ColourRestorer
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk7 Instruments - Mileage and Connector

Postby Altransit » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:17 pm

The cluster will read whatever mileage was on it when removed from the van.

I had a similar problem except that mine had a lower mileage which I managed to get reset to the correct mileage by Vantuner. I believe that it can be done in the opposite direction, but not with standard code readers.
A dealer should be able to do it, but whether they will is another matter :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby ColourRestorer » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:01 pm

Thank you for that, which gave me the confidence to simply swap the cluster.

The original had 108,200 miles and the new cluster shows 45,500 so that it slightly embarrassing!

Having looked at the config file, the cluster was originally in a Puma powered van with a completely different physical layout, in fact I’m not even sure it was rear wheel drive.

Fortunately, the trip and temperature functions worked ‘out of the box’ but for anyone else doing this with Forscan, this is what to do from a configuration point of view:

You need to connect up to the vehicle whilst the original Instrument Cluster is fitted, and read and save its configuration file to your laptop.

Then switch off and swap clusters and then reconnect Forscan and load the saved file and write it to your new instrument panel.

I’m still getting a low level fault code from the Powertrain Control Module that refers to a configuration difference, but I suspect that it may relate to the mileage discrepancy.

A quick look on the Forscan web site shows that they don’t provide a mileage correction feature, so I’m going to have to spark up my old copy of IDS I think….
ColourRestorer
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby andz327 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:31 pm

Ma vans low miles and plugged replacement clocks and this happened Image

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ColourRestorer » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:52 am

andz327 wrote:Ma vans low miles and plugged replacement clocks and this happened

I can see why you might be annoyed and disappointed with that.

I'm assured that so long as I have "no intention to misrepresent or mislead" then I'm not committing an offence by leaving my van at the lower mileage, but even so, I'm still tempted to get it corrected.
ColourRestorer
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:49 am

I had mine altered, mainly because it will look suspicious on the MOT history :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby andz327 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:29 pm

ColourRestorer wrote:
andz327 wrote:Ma vans low miles and plugged replacement clocks and this happened

I can see why you might be annoyed and disappointed with that.

I'm assured that so long as I have "no intention to misrepresent or mislead" then I'm not committing an offence by leaving my van at the lower mileage, but even so, I'm still tempted to get it corrected.
Only jesting fella that's ma TRUE mileage and am far from disappointed

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions