*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

oil leak after oil change

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

oil leak after oil change

Postby themax65 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:26 pm

so I did an oil change and changed the filter as well. I noticed after filling up the oil (with 5L) oil was dripping everywhere underneath the engine. I didn't spill any while pouring it and the stains start above the filter and drain plug. What would be the cause and what should I do now?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
themax65

Re: oil leak after oil change

Postby KevofCov » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:35 pm

Hi themax65

you've only touched two things - the sump plug and the oil filter. Check both, my money is on the oil filter seal not being seated correctly. What van and year is it? Front or rear wheel drive?
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:02 pm

themax65 wrote:so I did an oil change and changed the filter as well. I noticed after filling up the oil (with 5L) oil was dripping everywhere underneath the engine. I didn't spill any while pouring it and the stains start above the filter and drain plug. What would be the cause and what should I do now?

Looks like a Mk7 2.4 without A/C..?? You don't say what model you have..??

Oil leak looks to be coming from fuel pump drive O-ring....or possibly above it. Clean the area thoroughly and let it dry.....then the source of the oil leak will be easier to find.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... NisxMzM%3D

Lord Knobrot
Last edited by knobby1 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:04 pm

KevofCov wrote:Hi themax65

you've only touched two things - the sump plug and the oil filter. Check both, my money is on the oil filter seal not being seated correctly. What van and year is it? Front or rear wheel drive?

It has the big plastic belt driven fan, so must be a RWD methinks...

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions