*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 not charging

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk7 not charging

Postby Trueblue61 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:01 pm

Ok here goes..starter motor failed so a new / recon was fitted..ever since I've had the battery charge warning light on the dash...thought alternator also knackerd so
Swapped it out for a 2nd hand unit..no change so bought a brand new one and 2 new batterys ..still getting the warning light & batterys not being charged .
I've checked and cleaned each earth points from battery/s to chassis & starter to chassis and put a voltmeter across battery terminals and only reading 11 - 11.9v , same no matter where I test across..checked all fuses and getting continuity through all of them..I'm now at a complete loss..I cant immagine 3 x alternator are U/S ...any help in where to look next ?
Trueblue61

Re: Mk7 not charging

Postby knobby1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:32 pm

Trueblue61 wrote:Ok here goes..starter motor failed so a new / recon was fitted..ever since I've had the battery charge warning light on the dash...thought alternator also knackerd so
Swapped it out for a 2nd hand unit..no change so bought a brand new one and 2 new batterys ..still getting the warning light & batterys not being charged .
I've checked and cleaned each earth points from battery/s to chassis & starter to chassis and put a voltmeter across battery terminals and only reading 11 - 11.9v , same no matter where I test across..checked all fuses and getting continuity through all of them..I'm now at a complete loss..I cant immagine 3 x alternator are U/S ...any help in where to look next ?

Check your starter wiring...you may have left one off....I believe it's fairly common to leave the alternator sense wire off.

Lord Knobrot
Last edited by knobby1 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Chug » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:33 pm

Since it happened after the starter swap and the earth leads are a common fail, try a jump lead between the bolts of the starter lead and chassis.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Trueblue61 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:57 pm

Thanks for advice so far...all earths have been cleaned up and nothing has changed..alternator still not charging . Wiring diagram in Haynes manual shows two ( red ) wires one of which runs to the B.post of the alternator the other to point A ( jump start post ) in the engine bay fuse box.. & a brown/ green wire running to the starter relay in same fuse box.
This isn't what I actually have coming from my starter..I only seem to have 1 x red going to point A ( jump start post ) in engine bay fuse box and the brown/ green wire ...
I can see any other wire ( not that easy to see much down there as its pretty cluttered ) , can anyone throw some light on this as its beginning to seriously P##S me off !
Trueblue61

Postby Chug » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:53 pm

The earth poins may be clean but the earth lead disintegrates inside. But it sounds like you are missing the lead from starter to alternator. Does the alternator have the red wire coming off it? if so find the other end and attach it to the starter.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Trueblue61 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:36 pm

Hi Chug..
Yeah alternator has the red attached to B.post then runs across top of engine ( front ) in the wiring loom , then the loom has a branch off leading down towards where the starter is located..the rest that Carrie's on goes into the ECU unit...I'll have a good look but when I took off the old U/S starter I dont remember there being more than two wire attached..one being the heavier duty red going to the A post ( jump start post ) in the engine bay fuse box & the other being a brown lighter duty cable / wire that fed into the loom as mentioned / branching off from front of engine - to - ECU ..If that makes sense
Trueblue61

Return to Technical Problems & Questions