*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Heavy steering when braking or idling

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Power steering stiff after driving

Postby Leadoutsam » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:31 pm

Hi. Hoping to get an idea od the possible problem here.
I've had the pump and rack replaced recently as there was a bad leak from both.
I drove it yesterday and all seemed fine initailly but after about 10 miles the power steering became stiffer and harder to steer. I then needed to turn at a roundabout and it was physically hard to turn.
I tried it again this morning and same issue. There doesn't appear to be a leak now as the reservoir is still full after both journeys.

It's pretty unpredictable and not safe as you can't judge how much effort is required to turn. As I said it's totally fine on start up but seems to become stiffer as it warms up.

Can anyone advise what could be causing this?
Leadoutsam

Re: Power steering stiff after driving

Postby knobby1 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:00 pm

Was the reservoir supply line filter gauze cleaned out or replaced..?? They often get forgotten and when clogged they can cause fluid starvation to the pump.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Power steering stiff after driving

Postby Leadoutsam » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:48 pm

Thanks for the tip. I don't know if this was checked. I'm taking it back to the garage that did the work tomorrow so will mention this. Thanks for your help
Leadoutsam

Heavy steering when braking or idling

Postby Leadoutsam » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:54 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your replies in advance.

I'm at a bit of loss with this to be honest. I posted recently about this issue but not solved it as yet. Someone advised last time to check the gauze is clean which I asked the garage to check.

I had both the rack and pump replaced at my local ford dealers after a leak from both. It then developed steering stiffness after around 50 miles of driving.

I returned it to the dealers and they fitted a replacement pump on waranty as they said it was faulty. Both the original and replacement pumps were genuine Ford.

I collected it a week ago and have noticed it is very heavy (feels like no power steering at all) when the engine has run for around 5-10 miles and I am either braking or idling.

There is no stiffness when under load. It is particularly bad when turning at a car park for instance as I brake and then turn with no significant revs as I need to slow when turning.

Any advice would be appreciated
Leadoutsam

Re: Heavy steering when braking or idling

Postby Chug » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:15 am

Presumably as it's a Ford dealer you've paid an arm and a leg for this work, so take it back to them and kick up a fuss and get them to drive it and then rectify it. :shock:
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions