*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk 6 starter/immobiliser issue

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

mk 6 starter/immobiliser issue

Postby small jock » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:44 pm

Hi guys I wonder if anyone could shed any light on my problem.My 2006 transit T430 has an issue,namely it wont turn over.The batterys are fine,the starter turns the engine if I short out the solenoid manually but when I turn the key its as if the batterys are disconnected. When I put the key in the ignition the clock and the mileage show but when I turn the key the mileage and trip turn to lines or rather dashes across the display. At the same time there is a red light flashing in the rev counter.I have tried another cluster with matching key and transponder ring but there is no difference. I have also checked the ecu for water but it is as dry as can be.Im at my wits end,any help or advise would be appreciated.
small jock
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: mk 6 starter/immobiliser issue

Postby knobby1 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:59 pm

Front battery and/or ignition switch is probably fugged....common issue.

Get the batteries properly load tested, don't just check voltage.... and change out the igniton switch...10 mins work total.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby small jock » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:43 am

Ok so batterys check ok and I changed out the ignition switch but still the same.I also tried disconnecting the fuel pump in case there was something wrong there.When the immobiliser is on does the key just turn or does the engine turn over but not start? Any help please?
small jock
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:28 pm

Engine won't turn over if it's immobilised, what exactly is the immobiliser LED doing when you try and start it :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby small jock » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:26 pm

It is flashing
small jock
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:26 am

small jock wrote:It is flashing

Is it flashing quickly, or just at normal (engine off) speed?

If it's flashing slowly, there could be a blown fuse or other problem with the power supply to the immobiliser

If it's flashing quickly, wait for it to stop, and then count the flash codes, (2 digits) These will help to pin point the problem
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby LePlessis » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:03 am

Heello, another new member, and another immobiliser problem that is very similar to the above post.

2004 Transit that has an intermittent immobiliser fault - sometimes it will start, sometimes not - sometimes flashes 2:2, sometimes 2:3 - I've spoken to my normal garage who can't help, and I've spoken to a locksmith who also appeared confused.

I'm in Liskeard, Cornwall: any Ford mechanics locally who might be able to help?

Thanks,
LePlessis

Postby small jock » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:50 am

Altransit wrote:
small jock wrote:It is flashing

Is it flashing quickly, or just at normal (engine off) speed?

If it's flashing slowly, there could be a blown fuse or other problem with the power supply to the immobiliser

If it's flashing quickly, wait for it to stop, and then count the flash codes, (2 digits) These will help to pin point the problem

Hi,thanks for replying.It flashes slowly and never flashes a code.Im thinking of swapping everything out as I can do that myself instead of paying someone all the time to tell me they cant find the problem.My only concern is swapping all the stuff and its still the same.If someone at some stage has fitted a security switch and its been accidentally activated,where would they fit it? Any ideas would be gratefully received.
small jock
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loopylass » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:39 pm

How did you get on mate ? I have the same problem on my 06 connect, the immobiliser is flashing slowly, the milage is a row of dashes and she wont turn over. The starter motor is fine, battery ok. My one key locks the doors ok and turns on the ignition.
I hope you didn't have to change everything ?
loopylass

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:02 pm

loopylass wrote:How did you get on mate ? I have the same problem on my 06 connect, the immobiliser is flashing slowly, the milage is a row of dashes and she wont turn over. The starter motor is fine, battery ok. My one key locks the doors ok and turns on the ignition.

He hasn't been back on here since that last post in October of last year....so I suspect your request may fall on deaf ears..

Dashes in the mileage is often an indication the battery is not well, have you had it properly load tested..?? Some batteries can show good voltage until loaded then they fail miserably. Poor earths can also cause electrical dramas.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:55 pm

knobby1 wrote:
loopylass wrote:How did you get on mate ? I have the same problem on my 06 connect, the immobiliser is flashing slowly, the milage is a row of dashes and she wont turn over. The starter motor is fine, battery ok. My one key locks the doors ok and turns on the ignition.

He hasn't been back on here since that last post in October of last year....so I suspect your request may fall on deaf ears..

Dashes in the mileage is often an indication the battery is not well, have you had it properly load tested..?? Some batteries can show good voltage until loaded then they fail miserably. Poor earths can also cause electrical dramas.

Lord Knobrot

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=212047&p=1754440#p1754440
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions