*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 transit abs and esp light on

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk7 transit abs and esp light on

Postby Steve192 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:13 pm

Hi people, I’m after a little bit of help with my van. It’s a 2012 2.2 fwd euro 5 van.

My hill start assist stopped working so I searched on here and found the thread explaining the 3 pedal push down method to turn it on and off. I tried this and it didn’t work however, I have a massive list of fault codes now on the abs module. I used forscan to do a self demand test on the abs module and it came back with no errors, I also set the longitude sensor (or whatever it’s called) and also the steering angle sensor too. Still have the lights on. I have the abs, esp and handbrake light on constantly.

Today I changed the front 2 abs sensors, didn’t solve the problem. Could it possibly be the rear abs sensors? Seems funny how it only started once I tried the 3 pedal hill start assist method. Could I have possibly fried the abs module doing this?

I’ve attached photos of the fault codes all relating to the abs module.

Any help would be greatly recieved. It’s driving me mad as it’s showing no issues with the abs module on forscan tests.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk7 transit abs and esp light on

Postby Steve192 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:14 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Steve192 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:16 pm

Sorry for the picture quality, couldn’t get a decent shot
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:52 am

Steve192 wrote:Hi people, I’m after a little bit of help with my van. It’s a 2012 2.2 fwd euro 5 van.

My hill start assist stopped working so I searched on here and found the thread explaining the 3 pedal push down method to turn it on and off. I tried this and it didn’t work however, I have a massive list of fault codes now on the abs module. I used forscan to do a self demand test on the abs module and it came back with no errors, I also set the longitude sensor (or whatever it’s called) and also the steering angle sensor too. Still have the lights on. I have the abs, esp and handbrake light on constantly.

Today I changed the front 2 abs sensors, didn’t solve the problem. Could it possibly be the rear abs sensors? Seems funny how it only started once I tried the 3 pedal hill start assist method. Could I have possibly fried the abs module doing this?

I’ve attached photos of the fault codes all relating to the abs module.

Any help would be greatly recieved. It’s driving me mad as it’s showing no issues with the abs module on forscan tests.

Cheers

The ABS sensors themselves rarely fail, it's often their wiring looms which can break in the sheathing and be hard to find. The rear ABS sensor looms often fail where they go over the rear axle, front ones often fail where they go through the inner wing. A continuity test will often pinpoint the problem with wiring if you have one.

Does your steering wheel point straight ahead when driving straight..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Steve192 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:56 am

Hi mate,

Yes the steering wheel is straight, I’ve re done the angle settings on forscan. All self on demand tests were showing no errors on forscan which is strange.

I’ve also lost the shift indicator and the van seems to be down on power.

I’m going to check all the fuse today and test the wiring loom for the abs sensors and see if there’s a possible break somewhere
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Steve192 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:13 pm

Ok, so today I tested the continuity of all the abs sensors, they’re fine. On forscan live data I had the whole of the abs system on view and again all sensor are working. It just states that anything relating to the abs and esp is “inactive” and “off”.

I also tried a module reset on the abs system, said it had work but still no good. I tried a reset on everything from abs system, bcmii, ipc, pcm, still no luck. Although each reset said completed successfully. The self test on the abs system again found no errors.

I only have forscan and this doesn’t actually allow you download the latest program for these abs modules and program them like you can with ids, am I correct?

I’ve tried Ford but they are useless. They won’t let me physically speak to there mechanics in the 2 branches I tried today.

Any ideas anyone?
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:20 pm

Do you have cruise? Is it working :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Steve192 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:16 pm

Altransit wrote:Do you have cruise? Is it working :?:

No mate, it hasn’t got cruise
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:20 pm

Ah OK, I was going to suggest checking the switches on the clutch and brake pedals. These can disable all sorts of things if they aren't working.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Steve192 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:28 pm

Altransit wrote:Ah OK, I was going to suggest checking the switches on the clutch and brake pedals. These can disable all sorts of things if they aren't working.

It’s strange that this has only happened because I tried the method to turn on or off you hill start assist. I literally just turned the ignition on, pushed all 3 pedals down for roughly 10 seconds then released them and now my dash is lit up like a Christmas tree. That method clearly didn’t work for me.
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:42 am

Steve192 wrote:
Altransit wrote:Ah OK, I was going to suggest checking the switches on the clutch and brake pedals. These can disable all sorts of things if they aren't working.

It’s strange that this has only happened because I tried the method to turn on or off you hill start assist. I literally just turned the ignition on, pushed all 3 pedals down for roughly 10 seconds then released them and now my dash is lit up like a Christmas tree. That method clearly didn’t work for me.

Does your van actually have hill assist available..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Steve192 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:28 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Steve192 wrote:

Does your van actually have hill assist available..??

Lord Knobrot

Yes it’s always had it since I bought the van 5 years ago. It just stopped working so I tried the 3 pedal push method and it messed up my abs instantly. I’ve disabled hill start assist on forscan completely now to see if that helped but still having problems
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Steve192 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:24 pm

Right, a little update here.

I tried almost everything and still no luck so bought a used abs module and fitted that today, programmed everything on ids, reset steering angle sensor, and a few other sensors etc to get it right and this worked a treat. Both lights went out. HOWEVER, every time I drive for a couple of miles the traction control light comes back on now and stays on. It does reset once you turn the key off and goes out but then comes back again.

The only code I have now is the steering angle sensor. This is the bit behind the steering wheel right?

A few questions,

1, I’ve read somewhere of a reset on it which involves taking the steering wheel off and twisting it and lining something up??

2, I do have a slight knocking noise on the drivers side, could a faulty track rod end, ball joint drop link be repsponsible?

3, What, where, is the YAW sensor?

I’m going to go to my mates garage tomorrow morning and get him to check my wheel alignment and see if he can see any issues.
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions