*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

misfire no.2 cylinder..if burnt or bent valve cost to fix??

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: misfire no.2 cylinder..if burnt or bent valve cost to fi

Postby dumper » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:29 am

I’d change the cap and arm it shouldn’t have done anything to the leads but you need to sort out the low compression it depends on what the 20% figure you have given a compression gauge will give a reading in psi or bar if you’re reading is 20 % of what it should be then then it’s no good but if it’s 20 % lower then the other 3 then it may be in a acceptable working limits and it’s maybe a combination of all the other things you have wrong on the engine.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:21 pm

dumper wrote:I’d change the cap and arm it shouldn’t have done anything to the leads but you need to sort out the low compression it depends on what the 20% figure you have given a compression gauge will give a reading in psi or bar if you’re reading is 20 % of what it should be then then it’s no good but if it’s 20 % lower then the other 3 then it may be in a acceptable working limits and it’s maybe a combination of all the other things you have wrong on the engine.
Man this is hard work

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby fortyeight » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:36 pm

hope you ordered the copper leads and not the carbon ones
fortyeight
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby madmart132 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:41 am

Hi again , you were warned when you spent a huge amount of money on yet another pinto engine that you needed special valve seats for you engine to run solely on LPG .
You were also told that the pinto engine is not really suitable for running on gas , but still you carried on and got another lot of money grabbing cowboys to take your money and supply you with an over priced totally unsuitable motor for your van .
I make that close to £3000 that you have spent on your last 2 engines and you haven't really gone anywhere outside of Derbyshire. If number 2 Cylinder is down to 60-70psi take it back and get them to fix it OR next time get a zetec fitting kit and fit a zetec or even a twink from a Mk5 they will both work properly on gas if fitted with toughened valve seats and last a whole lot Inger that's for sure
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:32 pm

I'd say the pinto engine is highly suitable, i ran LPG on a sierra for 14 years, but i did have the special valve seats put in and did a full engine rebuild before the conversion.

Because of the octane adjust plugs ( these are blue and red connectors found dangling at the side of the coil)i could set timing right for it ...and had switches connected to the plugs, to put it back for running on petrol. because i could adjust the timing, i made full use of the gas, taking advantage of its higher octane ...it was slow because it was on a Groot mixer system and low energy density of the fuel...but was prepared to put up with that as i was getting plus 35 mpg on LPG, at the time 35 pence per litre when petrol was 80 - 90 pence a litre

The only problems i had with it was the carb drying out (Pierburg 2E3) and buggering up accelerator pump diaphragms etc - also went through ignition leads every 18 months.

You do need to close the gaps on the plugs a bit, the ignition has to be spot on and well maintained - high quality plugs leads needed, other than that it was all good.

NOTE - valve seats have to be changed because the originals are cast in the head .....made of cast iron, so vulnerable to wear caused by the dryness and non lubricating properties of LPG. The old valve seats are machined out to provide a space for the new hardened seats. you cannot get away with not doing this ..its
far worse than running a car meant for leaded on unleaded...it will pocket the valves in no time ...this will be seen as valve gaps closing up after a short period of time ..then the valve seats will burn because the valves will be slightly open. results in low compression, back firing , popping in the exhaust at first.

So hardened valve seats are a must do - or don't convert!

All the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby madmart132 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:14 pm

Hi Mark, he (Gasbo ) has had all the information given to him . This is his 2nd engine recently , my mk6 2-3 16v is now on 365,000 miles still on original engine because it was designed for it . I also had a couple of Smiley transits fitted with a twink they would actually do 30mpg + a massive improvement on the pinto
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:02 pm

Yes, pinto engines only good for a certain amount of miles ..cast iron bores etc ..modern engines have much more harder wearing steel liners, aluminium heads with hardened valve seats and and replaceable valve guides ..add diesel and they become very long lived ..that's until they spoiled it all and added all the emissions crap and wet belts.

NOTE, PLAN AHEAD: prediction - In another 8 years the BBC and media will have educated / brainwashed everyone ...and people running around with anything but an electric motor, will; be paying £2000 plus tax a year and will have stones, bricks and bottles chucked at them. so make the most of the next few years.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby madmart132 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:54 am

Its hard enough trying to travel anywhere at the moment metalworker with petrol or electric !!
But you are right though
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:04 pm

Twink - isn't that the engine that breaks its camchain at dead on 100,000 miles.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby madmart132 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:57 pm

No ours got to 287,000 in 3 years
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions