*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Forscan connection via WiFi ELM adaptor.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Forscan connection via WiFi ELM adaptor.

Postby CCCars » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:26 pm

Hi all, been having a bit of a time with my 99 Transit auto with EPIC, started with low vacuum for the brakes and led to boost issues showing on Forscan reader, updated to the Forscan lite but it wants to use bluetooth but as my adapter is WiFi it can't connect to the adapter, any way around this?
Started this in the Mk5 area but apparently Forscan is used more by the newer model folks?
Graham
CCCars
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:33 pm

Re: Forscan connection via WiFi ELM adaptor.

Postby knobby1 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:06 am

CCCars wrote:Hi all, been having a bit of a time with my 99 Transit auto with EPIC, started with low vacuum for the brakes and led to boost issues showing on Forscan reader, updated to the Forscan lite but it wants to use bluetooth but as my adapter is WiFi it can't connect to the adapter, any way around this?
Started this in the Mk5 area but apparently Forscan is used more by the newer model folks?
Graham


I'm not sure Forscan is compatible with the Mk5's.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18719
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Forscan connection via WiFi ELM adaptor.

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:52 am

knobby1 wrote:
CCCars wrote:Hi all, been having a bit of a time with my 99 Transit auto with EPIC, started with low vacuum for the brakes and led to boost issues showing on Forscan reader, updated to the Forscan lite but it wants to use bluetooth but as my adapter is WiFi it can't connect to the adapter, any way around this?
Started this in the Mk5 area but apparently Forscan is used more by the newer model folks?
Graham


I'm not sure Forscan is compatible with the Mk5's.

Lord Knobrot


It will read the EPIC
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire

Re: Forscan connection via WiFi ELM adaptor.

Postby CCCars » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:28 am

I have read the EPIC with Forscan reader no problem, upgraded to Forscan Lite and it wants me to use Bluetooth to connect but as my ELM adaptor is WiFi no joy, do I need to get a Bluetooth ELM now to be able to connect with Forscan Lite?
Is there any way to reset the fault codes in the meantime so I can see if I have cured the boost faults with the new boost sensor(MAP) I've just fitted?
Thanks
Graham
CCCars
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:33 pm

Re: Forscan connection via WiFi ELM adaptor.

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:34 am

You need the code reader to clear codes on an epic, there is no "DIY" clear - although it would be good if I could work out how too
Lucas Laser 2000/IDS
95 Pre Production DRW TD Highcube
95 Hallmark
96 150 100PS LWB Hi-Top
96 Autosleeper Duetto
06 Mk7 (scrap)
09 140PS T330S 2.2

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
User avatar
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 24611
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm
Location: Herefordshire/Gloucestershire/Berkshire

Re: Forscan connection via WiFi ELM adaptor.

Postby CCCars » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:21 pm

Been a while but here I am back again, finally got Forscan lite to work, had to change the setting on my phone for the app to use wifi and it connected to the adaptor although I had repeated notices to select bluetooth so assume that is the default.
Been chasing the dreaded tinworm out of the van ready for MOT time but made time today while waiting for the filler to go hard to test for codes since fitting the new boost sensor, reset the codes and only one remaining is P1302 Boost calibration low, haven't been for a drive yet but still got painting to do first.
Graham
CCCars
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:33 pm

Re: Forscan connection via WiFi ELM adaptor.

Postby Jim Archer » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:18 am

A lot of folk find the NFC versions aren't that reliable, the USB version doesn't suffer the comms issues.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Forscan connection via WiFi ELM adaptor.

Postby CCCars » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:25 pm

Thanks Jim, once I configured the App correctly on my phone connected OK, just need some help now to tackle this remaining P1302 fault code, any suggestions?
I've already replaced the boost pressure sensor.
Graham
CCCars
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:33 pm

Re: Forscan connection via WiFi ELM adaptor.

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:38 am

Matt is one of the forums' resident EPIC experts. I suspect you'd need to use a proper FDS/Laser2000 reader to get the true fault analysis.

Me gut feeling is the signal from your new sensor is lower than the EMC unit is expecting. ECUs at that time tended to be relatively stand-alone, so it may just need driving for it to re-set calibrations. On the other hand, it may be there is a trim table/input that requires setting against the board reference value/resistor.

Is it a OE Ford MAP transducer? Why was it changed? If it was due to a 'low' signal, it is worth checking the board for a dry joint at the ref resistor(s).

HTH

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Forscan connection via WiFi ELM adaptor.

Postby CCCars » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:12 pm

Hi Jim, I've checked the boost pressure reading from the sensor via Forscan and it matches what I'm getting on my test pressure gauge i.e. a best reading of about
5 psi but that was just full revs in neutral not under load, will do a road test and see what I get under load and see how it is on my "reference hill"
I am in dialogue with Matt and still trying different theories.
Thanks
Graham
CCCars
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:33 pm


Return to Technical Problems & Questions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.