*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 2.4rwd - Power loss issue, starting prob, gine cut out,

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk7 2.4rwd - Power loss issue, starting prob, gine cut out,

Postby MrfromLeeds » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:28 pm

Hi all... I've looked at some of the threads here and have an idea of what the probs may be perhaps... but would like to actually detail the issues and see what more experienced owners may think please.. thanks in advance.!

So, usually when I start the van from cold.. in the lower gears there's the usual growl and pull.. when warmed up though, the revs in the lower gears jumps high with little power.. (still enough to drive the vehicle) there's no growl and sounds naf too... Initial thoughts were is it boost hose etc as sounds as whooshing, not the usual engine sound.. checked all that and fine..
Turbo was changed 6 month ago so not that..
Clutch isn't slipping at all in any gear too..

The last week it's all got worse..
From cold, there's now the high revs and sh*t sound..
The last 2 days it's now struggling to start... Cranking for 10/20 seconds, not instantly as norm...
Today after getting started.. drove about for 5 mins and then engine just cut out when was at some traffic lights..
Tried to start a few times.. nothing.. eventually started and got home to do this post.....

Something else that happened 2 week ago too (not sure if related to but perhaps it is.??)
Driving on the motorway for an hour, engine overheated so reduced speed and got off.. (only had it overheat once years ago so not a common thing) checked and water was still in expansion tank..
Took easy rest of way home.. checked again 50mile before home.. water still in system..
Parked up but never checked, checked in the morning and expansion tank was bone dry and some of hoses were decompressed flat..
Was no sign of leak..
No oil residue in expansion tank etc..
I've obvs filled it up and ran for the last 2 week and it's holding water.. no leakage, no overheating...

From what I've read so far... Is all this a SCV, PRV issue do you think or.?
The van was last serviced in October and FSH so looked after..

Appreciate your time and knowledge with this... Thanks.!!
MrfromLeeds - Mk7 2.4rwd - 2011
MrfromLeeds
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk7 2.4rwd - Power loss issue, starting prob, gine cut o

Postby MrfromLeeds » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:26 pm

Chambers the rail sensor today..
No change.. if anything, seems the idle is at a slightly higher rev... Van rocks a little... No hunting though...

Any ideas.???
MrfromLeeds
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:45 pm

MrfromLeeds wrote:Chambers the rail sensor today..
No change.. if anything, seems the idle is at a slightly higher rev... Van rocks a little... No hunting though...

Any ideas.???

"Chambers" the rail sensor..?? I suspect you mean "changed"..?? Fuel rail pressure sensor..?? Or PRV..?? The original Ford rail pressure sensors rarely fail.

Did you do the learns after fitting the new sensor..??

If the van is rocking, it's probably hunting...which points to a poorly SCV.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MrfromLeeds » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:15 pm

knobby1 wrote:

Any ideas.???

"Chambers" the rail sensor..?? I suspect you mean "changed"..?? Fuel rail pressure sensor..?? Or PRV..?? The original Ford rail pressure sensors rarely fail.

Lord Knobrot

Thanks for your reply.!
Seen your comments on other posts and you seem experienced with all this...

Apologies.. yes I meant changed..
Ah I'm getting conflicting advice on all this..
One garage said change the rail sensor first before trying SVP and PRV...
Didn't realise would need a re-learn changing that sensor.. read would do on the valves but..
Yeah feels like hunting but rev needle doesn't move.. just engine/van rock...
If I change the sensor back to old one I took out, will that be fine or does that need a re-learn again.? Hope not..
I'll put the old one back on then asap then.! Thanks for help with this.!

I'm based in Leeds.. do you poss know any1 on here that works on transits in this area at all.?

Been quoted pretty much double for what can get Denso SCV and PRV for...
If I buy the parts.. hoping to be recomended someone who could fit and do the re-learn if may be able to help with that please.?

Much appreciated.!
I've a lot to learn about motors still..
MrfromLeeds
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:17 am

MrfromLeeds wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Any ideas.???

Lord Knobrot

Thanks for your reply.!
Seen your comments on other posts and you seem experienced with all this...

Apologies.. yes I meant changed..
Ah I'm getting conflicting advice on all this..
One garage said change the rail sensor first before trying SVP and PRV...
Didn't realise would need a re-learn changing that sensor.. read would do on the valves but..
Yeah feels like hunting but rev needle doesn't move.. just engine/van rock...
If I change the sensor back to old one I took out, will that be fine or does that need a re-learn again.? Hope not..
I'll put the old one back on then asap then.! Thanks for help with this.!

I'm based in Leeds.. do you poss know any1 on here that works on transits in this area at all.?

Been quoted pretty much double for what can get Denso SCV and PRV for...
If I buy the parts.. hoping to be recomended someone who could fit and do the re-learn if may be able to help with that please.?

Much appreciated.!
I've a lot to learn about motors still..

The fuel rail pressure sensor doesn't need "learning" as such...but if it is changed for another, it may have different pressure reading characteristics to the original and a set of learns would help. Some people call the SCV (Suction Control Valve) a sensor too.. but it's actually a variable voltage solenoid valve. If the SCV and/or PRV are replaced, the learns must be done or the engine will never run properly.

I'm in Australia so I'm afraid I don' know anyone in the UK who could supply other than maybe P.F. Jones.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MrfromLeeds » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:02 am

Australia nice.!

Thanks for explaining all that.. I'll revert back to the old rail sensor then and get the SCV And PRV ordered..
I bought this sensor from Pf Jones as seen them recommended on several posts..

Appreciate the help.!! Thanks

Does anyone ehoay look at this, know of anyone in the Leeds area who could do the relearn at all please.?
MrfromLeeds
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Technical Problems & Questions