*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Windscreen washer fault

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Windscreen washer fault

Postby dazjno123 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:10 pm

Windscreen washers stopped working in the middle of a journey. Fuse 67 15 amp fine. Wipers work when stalk button is pressed. 12v at both pins on plug with ignition on and one turns to earth when stalk button is pressed. Replaced washer pump with new one, filter clean/clear, still no noise nothing. Any suggestions? Mk7 Transit 260. Cheers.
dazjno123

Re: Windscreen washer fault

Postby dazjno123 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:27 pm

Supplied power from battery straight to old pump and it works fine? New stalk?
dazjno123

Re: Windscreen washer fault

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:36 pm

I posted this reply to someone not long ago ..may as well use it again ...

worth checking before you spend money - On my connect from the same era, (yours will probably have the same switch), it was the switch itself. these are modular and can be taken off the steering Column very easily.
The problem was a sliding contact strip inside the switch, the switches can be dissembled by prising apart with screwdriver being careful not to bust the ****retainers***. Note: there is a small spring inside. The cooper strip inside will have to be bent a little and cleaned to restore function...note the copper strip may be worn thin and this is perhaps a fix that will only get you a a couple more years use out of it. it was on mine .

****retainers**** - the switch is constructed in such a way that it snaps together and wasn't meant to taken apart ..but with patients and care it can be, with no damage and a good results for your effort. don't blame me though if you cant manage it - skill level is that of fixing clockwork clocks and time less than 1 hour.

yes you may be getting the 12 volt ..but switch may be still highly resistive.

Note: mine failed intermittently - i had to twist the stawk and distort it whilst pushing to get to to work before it failed completely. - so that's how i worked out what needed fixing, don't go taking apart a perfectly good switch if you don't have the confidence to put it back together .

So, if gentle twisting and distorting gets yours working ..then you know where the problem lies

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions