*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2003 2.3 petrol gets a new engine

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

2003 2.3 petrol gets a new engine

Postby VanDirt » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:57 am

Hi guys,

New here but have been reading along for a while now.

I have a 2.3 petrol RWD 2003 model. Unfortunately the head has blown on it, more precisely the spark plug hole. It previously had a helicoil in one of holes but that hasn't held up and the whole spark plug and coil have been blown out. The plug came out with a 45 degree bend in it so something has gone catastrophically wrong.
As I want to keep the car running I have finally found an exact replacement engine, e5fa, coming from a complete car I’ll be buying.

Obviously I’m going for the easiest straight swap so plan on putting the 'new' engine in as complete as possible (probably with transmission).
I don't really anticipate too many problems however I am now reading stuff about matching / learning injectors into the ecu. The new engine is a petrol+lpg engine while mine is a regular petrol. Does anybody know whether I can keep the old ecu or should I use the ‘new’ ecu? Is there any 'learning' to be done and if so is there a how-to manual to be found?

Also I'm assuming the old LPG injectors and other bits and pieces need to be 'blocked off', any tips on this?

Btw most parts not related to the engine will be up for sale of anybody is interested.

Greetings from Amsterdam
2003 Transit 2.3 Petrol 9-seater :mrgreen:
VanDirt

Re: 2003 2.3 petrol gets a new engine

Postby madmart132 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:50 am

I have already given the answer on the other thread that you have but ....
If you are not transferring the LPG system over ( it makes them about as cheap as a diesel supermini to run ) change over the inlet manifold when both engines are out of the vehicle. The inlet manifold is virtually impossible to change when on the van to be honest. No ECU learning just fit the engine and start
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions