*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Steering Assist Malfunction

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Steering Assist Malfunction

Postby Salteri » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:23 pm

Hi All,

My 2019 Transit, which is 3 months out of warranty has developed Steering Assist Malfunction, service required. It is currently in Hendy's Eastleigh and they tell me it needs a new steering rack at £1800. I kicked up a little bit and asked if I should call Ford UK as I do not think a rack should fail on a 3 year old van thats only done 31000 miles. They said they would call Ford UK on my behalf and said Ford UL will contribute and the total cost to me is £670. Looking at the history on here I can see three other people have suffered the same fate on post 2019 vans with the electric steering rack. I have also found a recall on 2019 to 2021 Ford Transit Customs for a steering Assist recall to replace the rack. A son of a neighbour of mine has had to have his steering rack replaced under warranty after 2 years as well.

My feeling is Ford UK should own up and do a recall but I need more data, can you let me know if you have had the seme problem so I am armed when returning to the main dealer on Monday.

Thanks

Ian
Salteri
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:52 pm

Re: Steering Assist Malfunction

Postby Salteri » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:24 pm

Been digging and found details of the Steering Assist Recall from Ford, but its for vans built after mine. Very strange that they fit a new Electric Steering Rack in the 2019 facelift models, however the first few thousand vans built don't have a problem. Then all of a sudden an extra bolt is fitted and later they find out that becomes loose, so they recall vehicles manufactured between 30-6-19 and 26-4-21 and fit new steering gear. Not sure when my van left the factory, or when the first 2019 Facelift models were built. My van was built about 16,000 vans before the first recall VIN number, some time in April/May I am guessing from when it arrived at Hendy's. Cant wait to see what Ford say on Monday.
Salteri
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:52 pm

Re: Steering Assist Malfunction

Postby Salteri » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have had to put my hand in my pocket to the tune of £670 for a new steering rack. Apparently the electronics have failed so it is not covered by the recall, and you cant just change the electronics, its a whole new rack.

IF YOU NEED A NEW VAN DONT BUY A POST 2019 MK8

My old Mk7 is still going strong, and does not have the technical issues I have suffered and have been reading about. It's my last new Ford and thats for sure. Contemplating selling this one on and getting myself a nice old Transit to take me to retirement as I don't want anymore big unexpected bills. 31,000 miles per steering rack and flaky electronics that cost a fortune to fix are not for me.

Cheers

Ian
Salteri
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:52 pm


Return to Technical Problems & Questions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.