*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lost boost, both engine lights on....

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Lost boost, both engine lights on....

Postby Lochalsh » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:56 pm

Hello transit people, I need some help please. I have a 62 plate 2.2 diesel, rwd Jumbo. done 77K miles, generally in very good condition, regularly serviced, usually goes very well.

The engine shaped orange light came on recently and the van started "hunting" slightly at motorway cruising speed. A full service was done with a DPF flush, light stayed on so a new DPF was fitted. It drove well for around a day, then the engine shaped orange light came back on, no hunting tho, still went well. I booked it back in to the workshop but there's a very long wait time, so I'm still using it.

However, now my spikey round orange warning light with exclamation mark has come on and I've lost boost/power. It still starts, runs and idles well. It seriously lack boost power, especially when climbing an incline or pulling away.

I managed to get the fault codes read which pointed at "sensors" also told us that 3 of 4 glow plugs were not working (but I think the glow plug thing has been the case for a long time so not really connected with this fault)

Sadly, the people who read the fault codes couldn't help further due to the size of the van. Finding another workshop with space/ramp/availability is extremely challenging to put it mildly.

I'm based by Perth. I was a motor mechanic but this was a long time ago, so I'm low on fault code knowledge. Cat convertors were only just coming in when I stopped mechanic-ing. I'm struggling to get it booked in so am looking at doing what I can myself. Still have my big red box so will dust it off! I've had a brief look for loose connectors, split pipes etc and there's nothing obvious. The turbo whistles well when revving from idle when static.

What I'd ideally like is someone with good experience of these transits to give me as accurate "idea" of what they have experienced before, ie "highly likely needs a XXXX" I'm aware that's wishful thinking but I don't want to throw parts/cash at it and get nowhere. I'm happy to back/forward a bit trying what's suggested. I've been on this forum for a long time and seen some really good, genuinely helpful people on here, the world needs more of that, so thanks in advance to anyone who is willing/able to help me.

Thanks
Lochalsh

Re: Lost boost, both engine lights on....

Postby knobby1 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:52 pm

With yours being a Euro-5 machine, the glow plugs "must" be working for a DPF regen to work. Most Euro-5 issues are DPF related. Vaporizer and sensor issues are very prevalent in the DPF systems. EGR valve issues are also very common.

Some people get the DPF removed and then have both the DPF and EGR mapped out.....but this can cause issues come MOT time.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Lochalsh » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:02 pm

Thanks Knobby1, I'll get some glow plugs in it and take it from there. I'l keep you posted. Really helpful. Much appreciated!!
Lochalsh

Postby ake » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:27 pm

knobby1 wrote:With yours being a Euro-5 machine, the glow plugs "must" be working for a DPF regen to work. Most Euro-5 issues are DPF related. Vaporizer and sensor issues are very prevalent in the DPF systems. EGR valve issues are also very common.

Some people get the DPF removed and then have both the DPF and EGR mapped out.....but this can cause issues come MOT time.

Lord Knobrot

Douglas at One Call on Shore Road would probably be able to help you out
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions