*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 non turbo on B99 diesel.?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk5 non turbo on B99 diesel.?

Postby npjrogers » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:38 pm

Can a 96 non turbo be run on 100% bio diesel aka B99. What precautions should be taken?
Sic Transit Gloria
npjrogers
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk5 non turbo on B99 diesel.?

Postby Chug » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:50 pm

Yes, I've run mine on it for years, but I don't get so much oil or time to make it these days and with the cost of chemicals nowadays its not so much of a saving so buying diesel is sometimes easier. But as long as its good quality bio and meets the European standard for biodiesel which is EN14214 then it will run fine this time of year although you may lose a couple of mpg. Winter running on bio is a different matter however and needs the best oil feedstock(no palm, soya or saturated fats etc) to help with gelling around and below zero freezing, and keeping a sample in a bottle near your van so you can see if its starting to gel before you try and start your van, there are several ways of winterising your bio but the easiest is to just add a small amount of petrol.

I would advise getting a couple of spare fuel filters as bio can flush out any old deposits in the fuel tank and lines and clog the filter, not so much of a problem with regularly used vans, but ones that sit around a lot tend to have more gunk as the additives in diesel drop out.

Check your rubber fuel lines and leak off pipes for condition and monitor them for the first few tankfuls as certain fuel pipes are not bio compatible and can degrade or even melt.

A few years back when it was more popular we created a wiki which you may find useful, there is a forum for it too if you want to ask more questions after reading, you'll see the link in the left navigation panel. https://biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Vegetable ... iesel_wiki
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jim Archer » Tue May 02, 2023 5:36 pm

DIs will run on pretty much anything that burns. My turbo conversion ran on a mix of misfuels and old engine oil for years with no apparent issues other than a reluctance to restart when really hot on a high petrol mix ...

As said, it's a good idea to replace all the 'rubber' fuel hoses.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Altransit » Tue May 02, 2023 10:28 pm

Jim Archer wrote: My turbo conversion ran on a mix of misfuels and old engine oil for years

Aha, you too eh?
I used to have a lockup opposite a vehicle workshop, and I was often the recipient of the die-trol that they drained from the tanks of misfueled diesels. They were happy for me to have it as they had no way to get rid of it, and my Mk5 loved it, especially with some added engine and veg oil :P :lol:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Jim Archer » Wed May 03, 2023 8:13 am

Aye, they had to pay to have it taken away, they used to save the cleaner looking oil for me too. It made winter/cold starting so much better that it disguised a shagged battery for 2 winters - had to put a tank of straight diesel in, and no chance the next morning :lol:

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Technical Problems & Questions