*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford Transit 2017 and 2018 Engine Failure Due To Cambelt

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Ford Transit 2017 and 2018 Engine Failure Due To Cambelt

Postby marc1234567 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:57 pm

knobby1 wrote:
janer2022 wrote:Hello
We've got exactly the same thing with a 2018 model - may I ask how you got on with Ford please Hosedoctor Jim ?
Many thanks
Jane

Unfortunately he hasn't been back on here since Jan 19th...so we may never know.

Lord Knobrot

Do you think there is anything regarding default setting for notifications that might encourage people to respond. As far as I can see it is not a default to get notified by email of replies. maybe that is just how it is for me?
Previous mk 5 (2000) Luton body (2012-2013)

Mk 6 tddi 2.4 125ps RWD dropwell luton (2018 - present)
Mk 7 tdci 2.2 125ps RWD Luton / taillift (Aug 2021-present)
marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:00 pm

marc1234567 wrote:Do you think there is anything regarding default setting for notifications that might encourage people to respond. As far as I can see it is not a default to get notified by email of replies. maybe that is just how it is for me?

It's personal choice, the default is for no notifications. You have to alter the setting in your profile for all notifications, or subscribe to the topic for notifications specific to one topic
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Simon2022 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:40 pm

Good afternoon, I have recently had an experience with my 2017 Transit where the Cambelt (Wet belt) has deteriorate causing the blockage of the Brake vacuum meaning I lost my brakes completely. Luckily I was only doing around 25mph at the time and there was no traffic around and I managed to bring the van to a standstill using the handbrake. Had It happened earlier on in my journey who knows what the outcome could have been. Ford part accept that it was a problem as the van had only done 100k and was 5 years old and the belt was due for replacement at 150k or 10 years and they contributed £471 towards my £1600 bill. To say that I am not impressed and I am looking at taking it further but don't know which route to go down! Can anyone advise? Thanks
Simon2022

Postby HariboPotter » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:34 pm

Simon2022 wrote:Good afternoon, I have recently had an experience with my 2017 Transit where the Cambelt (Wet belt) has deteriorate causing the blockage of the Brake vacuum meaning I lost my brakes completely. Luckily I was only doing around 25mph at the time and there was no traffic around and I managed to bring the van to a standstill using the handbrake. Had It happened earlier on in my journey who knows what the outcome could have been. Ford part accept that it was a problem as the van had only done 100k and was 5 years old and the belt was due for replacement at 150k or 10 years and they contributed £471 towards my £1600 bill. To say that I am not impressed and I am looking at taking it further but don't know which route to go down! Can anyone advise? Thanks

The Exact same happened to myself 2 weeks ago!
I have a Company Fleet owned Transit Custom registered Jan' 2020 with the 2.0l eco blue engine (Wet belt). Driving around 20mph, put my foot on the brake pedal and nothing happened. Luckily I was in traffic with suitable distance between me and the Car Infront I was able to stop via the Handbrake. The pedal was rock solid in the raised position. Absolutely Zero resistance. Was recovered to the local Ford Dealer. They investigated that afternoon and found the Cambelt had shredded, the pieces had completely blocked the Brake vacuum pump, hence the failure. When they dropped the Sump more debris was found so they declared the engine would need to be replaced. The Van was always serviced on time at the 25k service intervals which in my opinion is just not often enough considering a rubber belt is sat in hot oil and with contamination from any failed regens deteriorating the oil further. They took a day or so just to confirm service history but came back to me and said the engine would be replaced under warranty. The engine was ordered, fitted 2 days later and job done. So in my case quite fortunate. I asked the service manager if it was an upgraded Belt or just a like for like swap. He didn't know the answer to this which is a little frustrating as I would like to be re-assured this won't happen again, after all Brakes are pretty important! One thing just to add actually, at the time seemed like nothing, however since reading other posts on here around other symptoms of Cambelt failures is that probably twice in the last 8 months I had a random 'check oil' message pop up on the display (4 weeks after the 50k service), thought this was strange, but I checked the oil level and it was okay as expected. Message self cleared. The same probably around 65k. Checked again and the level was spot on. From all the info on here around the debris blocking the oil pump, it may well be a strong indicator and warning to check the Cambelt regardless for anyone that has one of these engines with the wet belt as apposed to the chain.
HariboPotter

Postby Cocobombom » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:25 pm

Hello,

I am currently having the same issue as described above. Wetbelt ruined engine. Brakes also went whilst I was driving downhill. Goodwill gesture from Ford is 35% which still leaves thousands for me to pay. Has anyone on here had any success with Ford replacing the engine free of charge when out of warranty or taken them to court? I have fsh and van had only done 63k miles. Thanks in advance.
Cocobombom

Postby MinorMatt » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:38 pm

Slightly different...

But the guy in the unit next to mine had a custom in with a broken wet belt.

The engine was intact, apart from the camshafts and 2 of the cam followers (which were bent). These bits were replaced for a few £100 and the engine was lovely afterwards.

May not always be the case - but it seems a snapped belts isn't always as much of a catastrophe as it may first appear....
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Colinlynas » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:58 pm

My 2018 transit custom also suffered total brake loss due to wet belt related issues. I've been told by Ford that it needs a new engine but they are unwilling to contribute as my last service of my out of warranty vehicle was not done at the dealership. Van has been off the road since November last year and I now face footing the bill myself. Ford have known about this wet belt problem for years but refuse to admit that it's a design issue and recall the vehicles affected. Probably because they would go bust if they did . Ford just happy to take our money and ignore the negative press they get .
Colinlynas

Postby Andypandy1664 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:14 pm

Hi Colin. Firstly I sympathise with you as I have the same issue. Can I ask if you’ve heard anything from for as yet?
I wanted to share with you what I’ve just sent and ask your opinion please.

Good morning Alex/Adrianna.
Well, no words can really describe where you and Ford have now left me. I did have some feelings on what I think but as with Ford you both are not receptive to any of that so rather than waste time I’ve decided I will load this massive expence onto my credit card and get my van back.

Questions:
1. When can I have my van back with with work been carried out?
2. Can you send me a break down of the complete costing for this work.
3. If after the work has been carried out there turns out to be further terminal damage to the engine, where do I stand?
4. What are the guarantees for the work?
5. Will the cambelt is be replaced by the same belt or of a type that would be done on the ‘recall’.
6. Will the software update on the recall be done that that stops the diesel being dumped into the oil after failed regeneration of the DPF (diesel particulate filter) which I would have gladly paid for and would prevented all this at a fraction of the cost to me if Ford would have ever taken the time to have contacted me and let me know.
As you are both aware, I have been without a usable vehicle for 23 days now. This has caused me immense issues for a situation that should have never of occurred had Ford taken the time time to inform me of a widely known issue with this engine.
I would also like to reiterate that the issue with my vehicle is clearly the same problem that Ford have recalled countless other vehicles for.
The recall list clearly needs to be looked at again as the manufacturing/software fault extends beyond your recall list.

Would appreciate a swift response to this.

Please be aware that I’m seeking legal advice on this and how I’ve been treated and will be intouch in due course.
Thankyou

Regards

Mr Andrew Jardine
Andypandy1664

Postby Wet belt failure » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:14 am

How are you getting on Andrew?

I'm going through a very similar situation.

Wet belt failure, full service history with itemised invoices (non ford) and an ETIS recall 19B10 that I was not notified of.

Local dealership and Ford are being very slow resolving (now just over a month).
Wet belt failure

Postby Chug » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:30 am

1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Wet belt failure » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:44 pm

Yes, I've looked extensively at the threads.

I've got emails toing and froing, Ford UK are trying hard to decline the claim.

I've been reasonable and presented lots of evidence, no idea why they're being difficult about it.

I will pay for the engine and reclaim by small claims court if necessary (and have told Ford as much) but would honestly rather not have the inconvenience.
Wet belt failure

Postby Altransit » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:56 pm

I've made that thread a stickey (in the Custom section), so that it should be easier to find :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Andypandy1664 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:54 pm

Hi. Does anyone have any email addresses for for high up people in Ford please.
Andypandy1664

Postby Wet belt failure » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:59 am

Lisa Brankin, MD Ford UK & Ireland, vvincent6@ford.com

Address found at ceoemail.com

She's also on Linkedin if you wanted to go that route instead....
Wet belt failure

Postby M.T.L wet belt » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:39 pm

Good day.

I have a 5 year lease ford transit custom 2018 with the famous wet belt and engine failure at 49k miles and late to the 3rd service by 2 months due to DVLA provoking my license at the time. They don't offer any good will gesture no replacement vehicle not very helpful and communications is hard work with them, no one wanting to deal with the case passing me from services to sales from one dealer to another they know what they are up to and I have spoke with mechanical guys who have had 10x transit custom in the last 2months with same issue. I'm waiting for a final response from ford and maybe have to put my company into liquidation or try a lawyer and see how I can get some good will or all repairs covered as buying a vehicle from new shouldn't blow up in the first 50k miles and seems to be a manufacturer problem. If anyone can help with advice on this situation would be much appreciated

I have seen consumers rights act if you purchase a vehicle or high value item and it goes faulty in the first 6 years you should get replacement vehicle or repair at manufacturer expense

I will be in contact with the vehicles ombudsman soon and will update my case and make a you tube video of my dealings and experience with ford will post links as I proceed

Then new vans are being rolled out with the same engine and wet belt
M.T.L wet belt

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions