*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Limp mode and injectors

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Limp mode and injectors

Postby Sgraham » Sat May 27, 2023 5:27 pm

Hi. Need help please.
I am owner of Ford transit 2.4 diesel
Just recently the van drives fir around 6 mikes then suddenly start jerking, shortly after a lose in power then goes into limp mode, then won’t go again until cooled off.
Have a mechanic who I am nit sure I trust telling me that the injectors need change, really expensive.
I can not find anything that suggest a bad injector forces van into limp mode.

Could anyone give me an idea about this
Thanks so much
Sean
Sgraham
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Limp mode and injectors

Postby knobby1 » Sat May 27, 2023 10:51 pm

Sgraham wrote:Hi. Need help please.
I am owner of Ford transit 2.4 diesel
Just recently the van drives fir around 6 mikes then suddenly start jerking, shortly after a lose in power then goes into limp mode, then won’t go again until cooled off.
Have a mechanic who I am nit sure I trust telling me that the injectors need change, really expensive.
I can not find anything that suggest a bad injector forces van into limp mode.

Could anyone give me an idea about this
Thanks so much
Sean

Mk6 or Mk7 2.4..?? They are quite different. What fault codes are you getting..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Sgraham » Sun May 28, 2023 4:31 pm

Even the AA guy had severe problems getting reading. He eventual said coming up with simple injector code. The garage coukd get a code.
I have found nothing on the internet suggesting that injectors cause limp mode.
I have put an injector cleaner in fuel and let it tick over for 30 minuets, sounded quite smooth, so was about to test drive, but as soon as I gave it some Rev, it ran rough and did not Rev over 3000rpm

Tganjs fir you input

Sean
Sgraham
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Sun May 28, 2023 7:54 pm

Sgraham wrote:Even the AA guy had severe problems getting reading. He eventual said coming up with simple injector code. The garage coukd get a code.
I have found nothing on the internet suggesting that injectors cause limp mode.
I have put an injector cleaner in fuel and let it tick over for 30 minuets, sounded quite smooth, so was about to test drive, but as soon as I gave it some Rev, it ran rough and did not Rev over 3000rpm

Tganjs fir you input

Sean

Assuming Mk7..?? You've still not told us what model you have. Your previous posts say 2009 Mk7 2.2 FWD..??

Have you tried a set of learns..?? When was the fuel filter last replaced..?? Has an injector leak-off test been done..??

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Sgraham » Sun May 28, 2023 9:53 pm

Hi.
It a 2005 2.4 Ford transit 350 lwb not sure if mark 6 or 7. Sorry I can’t be clearer
Sgraham
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Sun May 28, 2023 10:22 pm

2005 will be a Mk6, if your engine is the 135 ps TDCi, then your problem could be the fuel system. If it's a TDDi, then it may be an easier fix :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Mon May 29, 2023 12:41 am

Sgraham wrote:Hi.
It a 2005 2.4 Ford transit 350 lwb not sure if mark 6 or 7. Sorry I can’t be clearer

As Altransit said..it's a Mk6....how long have you owned it..??

What actual fault codes are you getting..??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Sgraham » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:46 am

Hi. Sorry for delay.
Not getting any fault codes as it seem the van will not communicate with diagnostics/obd units, mine or the AA.
Last piece of information I can give is the van when started from cold ticks over nicely, just when it get to running temperature, I press the ex and it won’t go over 2000 rpms.

Sean
Sgraham
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Sgraham » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:08 pm

Hi again.
I did a little test today on the Mass air flow sensor. As the van was idling a little rough. I took the power cable off the MAF sensor. It did not change anything. The engine carried on running.
Is that normal?

Sean
Sgraham
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby marcrbarker » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:57 pm

Sgraham wrote:. I took the power cable off the MAF sensor. It did not change anything. The engine carried on running.
Is that normal?
Sean

All engines tend to carry on running without a MAF. The ECU switches over to duff MAF mode. Not a showstopper like a crank sensor. What else can happen is a DTC code could get stored and then later on Mr Motor Mechanic scans to get his prelminary shopping list of parts to replace, the MAF sensor got an honarary mention just because it had got unplugged.
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:51 pm

Sgraham wrote:Hi. Sorry for delay.
Not getting any fault codes as it seem the van will not communicate with diagnostics/obd units, mine or the AA.
Last piece of information I can give is the van when started from cold ticks over nicely, just when it get to running temperature, I press the ex and it won’t go over 2000 rpms.
Sean

Mk6 Tranists are "NOT" OBD-II compliant, so most of the newer readers won't work, you need Forscan or IDS.

Lots of info on here about it.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions