*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil choice

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Oil choice

Postby George Liquor » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:52 pm

Hello again, i did an oil change on my 2011 2.4 jumbo the day before yesterday, i used castrol edge long life 5w30 together with an ufi filter, the following day the turbo started screeching and is now in pieces on my bench awaiting a new core groan. I know ford recommend magnatec but the shop didnt have any so i went with edge, the guy said it was ok to use and is actually a higher spec than magnatec, now im wondering if i had not done the oil change would the turbo have failed or is it just coincidence, should i dump £100 worth of edge and go with magnatec or something else, i used manoll since the engine rebuild for a few hundred miles and thought id give the engine the best chance with a quality oil. the van has done 140k and id say its the original turbo. Any advice is appreciated, by the way it was the turbo blades rubbing the housing that caused the screech, this is after about ten miles of driving after the oil change
Regards, George
George Liquor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Oil choice

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:14 pm

Note: last post in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=224895&p=1806812#p1806812

and you had swarf in the sump

and there is a filter in the oil supply line to the turbo

so i recon maybe, taking short cuts, not mixture of oil, was more likely the cause .

having said all that, i hear that , 140,000 on a turbo is about it, for some vans with unknown history

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby George Liquor » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:35 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Note: last post in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=224895&p=1806812#p1806812

and you had swarf in the sump

and there is a filter in the oil supply line to the turbo

so i recon maybe, taking short cuts, not mixture of oil, was more likely the cause .

all the best.mark

The engine was thoroughly cleaned out when i rebuilt the engine and the inline filter to the turbo had been taken out already, and has run fine for the last few weeks, its just the failure happened the day after the oil and filter change
thats what got me thinking about the choice of oil maybe contributing to this or was the turbo already on its way out, im hoping it was just a coincidence. Also is there a way to read oil pressure using forscan, the light goes out as soon as the engine starts turning but i would like to know what the pressure is
Regards, George
George Liquor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby George Liquor » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:33 pm

Well the failed turbo actually turned out to be a leaking exhaust manifold, the thing is it sounded exactly like my sons turbo when its impeller was rubbing on the housing and my turbo did have quite a bit of play on the shaft so not a bad thing it now has a new core and gasket and is back to normal no more screeching. So to those who have a what they think is turbo screech check your gaskets first it could save you a head ache, my screech was comming from exhaust port 3
Regards, George
George Liquor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions