*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


New Clutch Slipping + ASM wont go into gear

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

New Clutch Slipping + ASM wont go into gear

Postby samwhich » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:32 am

Gday all! Hope you are all doing well :)

I had a new clutch + single mass flywheel kit installed end of last year. Since the installation, the clutch has been slipping intermittently but very drive-able for the most part. My intention was to take it in to get fixed but I got financially crippled at the start of this year so have been trying to recover from that before attending to the car issues.

This morning, I pulled up to an intersection on my way to work and the van refused to take off from there (usually it would drop down to 1st gear, but this time neutral). I could not select any gear, just stuck in neutral basically. I managed to roll back and off the road as I was on a slight incline. After much fluffing about, I managed to get it into 3rd gear (somehow?) and then home and finally to the local mechanic after a very scary drive with clutch slipping in 3rd, 4th and 5th on the freeway to my local mechanic. Being an ASM, the mechanic did not want to touch it! hahaha! Hear we go... :P

So as it stands, with the engine off I can switch between Reverse, Neutral and Drive perfectly fine. You can hear the gears shifting nicely. With the engine turned on, it will not go into Drive or Reverse. After heaps of attempts I was able to get it into 3rd (somehow? wouldn't select 1st or 2nd) and was able to drive it from there with the clutch slipping much worse than before in 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Error codes I've been getting was P0720 (which is related to the Output Speed Sensor communication error) and the new one as of this morning is something about a TCM malfunction? Sorry can't remember the code and van is still at the mechanic. I bought a used Transmission control Module from the wrecker and popped it in but that did nothing.

Just trying to work out what to do from here? The only mechanic I know that works on these ASM transmissions other than Ford is a guy miles away on the other side of the city and I would have to get it towed there. I've been warned it could be the HPU and am on the fence as to whether I want to spend a billion dollars on a new one. Another cluey bloke at work suspects the slave /master cylinder. This I have not changed since buying the van about 10 years ago and have replaced the transmission since.

Can anyone shed some light on what this could be? Many thanks :)
2005 VH Ford Transit 2.4 TDi
Durashit Transmission
User avatar
samwhich
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: New Clutch Slipping + ASM wont go into gear

Postby samwhich » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:52 am

Update:

I managed to drive it home from the mechanic this morning with no clutch slippage!

Also noticed the buzzing noise didn't happen when I opened the drivers door which means the HPU pump has gone. Sound a replacement pump (pump only, not the whole unit) for AU$720 which is very reasonable. Looks pretty straight forward to swap over. Any warnings I need to know about if I were to perform this procedure myself?

Also are my original symptoms likely caused by the HPU pump failing? Or is that a separate issue?

Cheers for any help!
2005 VH Ford Transit 2.4 TDi
Durashit Transmission
User avatar
samwhich
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: New Clutch Slipping + ASM wont go into gear

Postby WheelyBigBox » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:22 pm

Any update on this? - I got one lol.. getting a bit scared now! No problems so far i'm just a bit worried about it happening though.
2002 Mk6 2.4L T330 (Turbo) 90HP with Auto gearbox / clutch / shifter.

VP30 Knowledge
HPU Motor Opening / Rebuild
WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:12 am

Re: New Clutch Slipping + ASM wont go into gear

Postby WheelyBigBox » Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:51 pm

Hello.. (just posting this so i can use the "notify me of new replies feature)
2002 Mk6 2.4L T330 (Turbo) 90HP with Auto gearbox / clutch / shifter.

VP30 Knowledge
HPU Motor Opening / Rebuild
WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:12 am


Return to Technical Problems & Questions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.