*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


2004 2.4 Dura torque TDCI Pilot re-learn?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

2004 2.4 Dura torque TDCI Pilot re-learn?

Postby Transit 430 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:28 pm

I'm looking for some help in resolving a rough idling issue i have on my Transit. Brief history of the issue below
- Engine went into limp mode about 6 months ago, after some root causing sent all 4 injectors to MIDLAND AUTOCARE (found on ebay) all failed on leakback.
- Midland supplied 4 recon injectors.
- I fitted the injectors(super careful- recut injector seats new seals etc)
- New Ford fuel filter fitted, checked old one for metallic particles and it was 100% clean
- coded injectors with Forscan in firing order 1423
- van started perfectly and ran much smoother and is far more economical
- when cold idle perfect, when hot idle is lumpy but drives absolutely spot on
- Tried coding injectors in installed order 1234 (1 at the radiator 4 at the flywheel) this made no difference
-Send all 4 injectors back to Midland- they tested and reported no issues with the new injectors
- Refitted and have tried coding both ways- when warm idle is still lumpy
- van has been run approx 1500 miles with both configuration of coding to see if the engine "learnt"
- No fault codes in PCM since new injectors fitted but still lumpy idle
- I have read in forums about "pilot learning" forscan does not seem to have this for my van (perhaps this ecu doesn't have it?)
-Its a Delphi system
Does anyone have an idea of what I could have missed?(before the new injectors idle was fine)
Transit 430
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:54 pm

Re: 2004 2.4 Dura torque TDCI Pilot re-learn?

Postby knobby1 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:50 am

Transit 430 wrote:I'm looking for some help in resolving a rough idling issue i have on my Transit. Brief history of the issue below
- Engine went into limp mode about 6 months ago, after some root causing sent all 4 injectors to MIDLAND AUTOCARE (found on ebay) all failed on leakback.
- Midland supplied 4 recon injectors.
- I fitted the injectors(super careful- recut injector seats new seals etc)
- New Ford fuel filter fitted, checked old one for metallic particles and it was 100% clean
- coded injectors with Forscan in firing order 1423
- van started perfectly and ran much smoother and is far more economical
- when cold idle perfect, when hot idle is lumpy but drives absolutely spot on
- Tried coding injectors in installed order 1234 (1 at the radiator 4 at the flywheel) this made no difference
-Send all 4 injectors back to Midland- they tested and reported no issues with the new injectors
- Refitted and have tried coding both ways- when warm idle is still lumpy
- van has been run approx 1500 miles with both configuration of coding to see if the engine "learnt"
- No fault codes in PCM since new injectors fitted but still lumpy idle
- I have read in forums about "pilot learning" forscan does not seem to have this for my van (perhaps this ecu doesn't have it?)
-Its a Delphi system
Does anyone have an idea of what I could have missed?(before the new injectors idle was fine)


Firstly...firing order for the 2.4 is 1-3-4-2, not 1-4-2-3, (Don't know where you'd get that firing order from??). If injector coding is incorrect....it will never run properly.

Secondly...Mk6 TDCi with Delphi fuel system doesn't have "learns" like a Mk7 Euro-4. There's difference between "coding" and "learns".

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18713
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: 2004 2.4 Dura torque TDCI Pilot re-learn?

Postby Transit 430 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:29 pm

Thanks for the reply- I got the 1,4,2,3 from forscan (ive tried to attach the picture. It shows the cylinders 1,2,3,4 (4 closest to the flywheel) and then above shows injectors 1 to 1- 2 to4 3 to 2 and 4 to 3. I try coding them with 1342 as suggested and see how I get on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit 430
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:54 pm

Re: 2004 2.4 Dura torque TDCI Pilot re-learn?

Postby knobby1 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:40 pm

Transit 430 wrote:Thanks for the reply- I got the 1,4,2,3 from forscan (ive tried to attach the picture. It shows the cylinders 1,2,3,4 (4 closest to the flywheel) and then above shows injectors 1 to 1- 2 to4 3 to 2 and 4 to 3. I try coding them with 1342 as suggested and see how I get on


Forscan doesn't use the firing order, it uses logic coding, (although it seems illogical). Just input the coding numbers as required and you should be good to go.

The Mk6 TDCi's are a strange animal and many have issues with the Delphi fuel systems on them. The Mk7 Euro-4 Denso system is so much better, then they went backwards again with the Euro-5 Seimens system. Just my humble biased opinion though.

Lord Knobrot.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18713
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: 2004 2.4 Dura torque TDCI Pilot re-learn?

Postby Chug » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:20 am

Transit 430 wrote:Thanks for the reply- I got the 1,4,2,3 from forscan (ive tried to attach the picture. It shows the cylinders 1,2,3,4 (4 closest to the flywheel) and then above shows injectors 1 to 1- 2 to4 3 to 2 and 4 to 3. I try coding them with 1342 as suggested and see how I get on


That is bloody confusing, it says follow the illustrated order but there appears to be two orders, is it the top which as knobby said isn't the firing order, or the bottom cylinder numbers, I'm still none the wiser, I would assume its cyl number, I hope you get it sorted and then tell which order worked.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5tdi
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2677
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:27 pm
Location: Tring, Hertfordshire

Re: 2004 2.4 Dura torque TDCI Pilot re-learn?

Postby Transit 430 » Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:53 pm

All, Having an absolute mare. New injectors coded as advised to "virtual" order and van has been running perfectly.... But..... Been on Holiday, big road trip 4000 miles in a month. Van went into limp once but restarted and all was fine. 100 miles from Calais in Belgium van cut out- went into limp mode and would not restart. I was recovered and Fuel pressure fault codes were read the recovery company. I returned to the UK and came back with a load of tools- forscan and a new HP fuel pump. I fitted the new pump and it still wont start.... So far what I have found is
-Fuel pressure when trying to start is around 350-400 bar
-No fault codes now the garage cleared them
-Van sounds like it is trying to start but wont run
- will fire up on easy start
- have unplugged pretty much all of the engine sensors one at a time and the generate their own fault code which can be cleared when replugged in
-I have drained fuel filter and diesel is clear- tank is at 1/4 and it ran fine up to the breakdown....
- I checked the injector coding to make sure the ECu wasnt complete toast and all as i originally programmed them

Does any one have any ideas? currently in Belguim with a dead van......
Transit 430
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:54 pm


Return to Technical Problems & Questions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.