*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


1995 2.5D engine won't start after head gasket renewal

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: 1995 2.5D engine won't start after head gasket renewal

Postby hetman » Wed Sep 16, 2026 1:47 pm

dumper wrote:When we had the problem it didn’t leak would start up fine when cold but drive 20+ miles stop to pick up something and the engine off then it would be difficult to start but would never have starting problems on cold starts which I thought strange I would expect it to be worse maybe something to do with the cold start this happened on both vans


I was thwarted again today in resolving the issue of fuel leaking from the fuel filter we are speaking of. I took it off the element and everything appeared to be in order, but I tightened down the screw-in sensor at the base of the filter. It was slightly looser than I remembered and so I tightened it down a bit and now it's very hand tight. So I reinstalled the filter element and attached the electrical cable plug to that yellow screw-in sensor, and started the engine. It is still dripping fuel, about one drop every few seconds, from the down spout on that yellow sensor. I thought that was where water was supposed to come out if the filter filters out water from the fuel at that point. There is no fuel dripping from the top area, so it must be properly sealed there. The drip is from the very base of the yellow screw-in sensor, where there is a spout. Any suggestions?

You had suggested unbolting the whole housing, the base where the housing attaches to the block, and then pressing in the fuel filter element to the housing in a vise in the shop? Is this still your recommendation? Or is there something wrong with the way the yellow plastic sensor at the bottom of the aluminum filter elements is attached? Or could it be defective? Should I try to replace that yellow sensor element?

In other news, I succeeded in eliminating a fuel leak from the inlet hose leading to the fuel pump (from that filter housing), by replacing that line with a new one, and that works.
Mike
hetman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:57 pm
Location: Warsaw

Re: 1995 2.5D engine won't start after head gasket renewal

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Sep 16, 2026 2:23 pm

i don't know what you have on yours or if different from more later ones ..
whole thread here on the yellow valve at the bottom of the filter and the trouble it caused

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=237493&p=1890221&hilit=filter+leak#p1890221

all the best.mark
User avatar
metalworker0
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6018
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Prestatyn

Re: 1995 2.5D engine won't start after head gasket renewal

Postby dumper » Wed Sep 16, 2026 7:24 pm

You don’t really need the sensor it’s only water in fuel you don’t need it when you buy a new filter it doesn’t come with it when you get a new filter back in the day you use to remove it from the old one and fit to the new one
2025 MK 8 L3 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
2015 MK 8 L4 H3 motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6402
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.