*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


BRAKES BINDING

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: BRAKES BINDING

Postby BARFLY » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:49 am

Uhm...better check a few other things, first. Both linings had sheared off more in less intact, with a few smaller pieces falling out as well. What would cause this? I mean is there something that needs to be addressed before replacing the shoes? What would indicate that the drums need replacing? They seem to be very finely scratched across the surface and on the inner circumference if you run your fingers across theres very fine groove that you can feel slightly lower than the rest. When you place the drum back on the hub it does turn smoothly enough but there is a very slight 'grinding' kind of sound. Is this anything? Sorry about the terminology here but like I said I'm just a DIYer trying to svae a bit of money if possible. Thanks again.
BARFLY
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: BRAKES BINDING

Postby angeleye » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:06 pm

they have probly been on there quite a while,and the bonding has give way ,the lining crack and after a period of time damp gets in there,and with constant changes in tempreture the linings become unstuck,its one of the reasons i said get a decent set of shoes,
slght grooving in drums will be ok,rough them up, with a bit of course emery cloth,
new drums will be required if they are worn beyond manufacturers limit,this will be obvious by the lip on the outer edge of drum,irc,1mm,
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 4058
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Re: BRAKES BINDING

Postby BARFLY » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:38 pm

Thanks for that. The drums seem to be okay, then. In fact there seems to be more wear on the other drum. I couldn't get the shoes today so I will have to get them Monday, now. I 'll clean up the drums as advised and fit the new shoes. Hopefully that will be that. Got the manual to guide me, but I'll take a photograph or two as I go, as advised. Thanks again, everyone.
BARFLY
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.