*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby YellowVMan » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:30 pm

Not sure what to say.

1st alt stopped working, burning rubber and plastic smell, can't find what melted. the alt when removed wasn't damaged, burnt or smelt!

placed, new alt was working but started to fluctuate the voltage. arcing fault in the casing, the battery light was on only when driving, at idle no issues. faulty alt!

3rd alt, no faults with charging, voltage 14.6 no matter if the lights are on, battery light is on while driving but nothing i can see in the voltage to state a problem. Just canceled the auto electric technician due to its costing too much.

I can't see a single thing why the battery light is on only when driving, if a leave the engine at idle it will not come on, if i rev the engine the light will come on and stay on until i turn the engine off, f i start the engine its ok again.

Its not a smart charging system, its a euro 5 2.2. if there are fusing gone it won't work at all. when on earth can it be? driving 400 miles without any issues!! are there any wiring diagrams?
YellowVMan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:00 am

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby longhair » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:25 pm

I have a Haynes manual with wiring diagram which I'll post, but I'm away till tomorrow. I'll do it straight away I get back.
.
User avatar
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:12 pm
Location: sunny Lancashire

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby mallood » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:00 am

i dont want to be a smartass but a wiring diagram is not gonna help you out. yes you can tell what circuits are connected to the startor circuit, but where every wire is running is just gonna be a mission of stripping stuff. You need to start taking apart your entire dash if you cant find anything that has been burned in the motorbay area.
Like you said, something has, was burning, so thats what you need to look for, and then you can check the why.
mallood
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:38 am

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby YellowVMan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:09 am

longhair wrote:I have a Haynes manual with wiring diagram which I'll post, but I'm away till tomorrow. I'll do it straight away I get back.
.



Thank you, that may help in some ways
YellowVMan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:00 am

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby YellowVMan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:16 am

mallood wrote:i dont want to be a smartass but a wiring diagram is not gonna help you out. yes you can tell what circuits are connected to the startor circuit, but where every wire is running is just gonna be a mission of stripping stuff. You need to start taking apart your entire dash if you cant find anything that has been burned in the motorbay area.
Like you said, something has, was burning, so thats what you need to look for, and then you can check the why.


The smell was outside but coming into the cab. There can't be that much wrong otherwise the battery light would be on all the time, idling and driving, only when it's moving. that's what's making no sense.

Someone did say about a slipping belt. so twice in a roll i told the machine to change the belt, twice in a row he didn't
YellowVMan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:00 am

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby longhair » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:53 pm

Here you go, not sure if will be any use though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:12 pm
Location: sunny Lancashire

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby YellowVMan » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:28 pm

longhair wrote:Here you go, not sure if will be any use though.



Thanks thats helpful to see what parts of used, as everything is working apart from the battery light on while driving, i,m looking at the battery monitoring sensor. its not a fue issues as they work or don't. any burnt cables may well causes voltage issues and that sok too.
YellowVMan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:00 am

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby YellowVMan » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:31 pm

longhair wrote:Here you go, not sure if will be any use though.



I think that diagram for the a smart alternator, mines a standard type.
YellowVMan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:00 am

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby longhair » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:51 pm

Well that's what I thought but I don't know anymore. When I told you my custom had a smart alternator I was wrong. I was led to believe euro, 5 2.2s had one. Last week I wired a volt meter up to confirm it, and mine isn't. I went on a 70 mile journey and the voltage didn't drop below 14.4, so that diagram must be for a normal charging system.
User avatar
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:12 pm
Location: sunny Lancashire

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby longhair » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:03 pm

This one is for the euro 6, 2.0 litre, and it looks quite a bit different.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 1:12 pm
Location: sunny Lancashire

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby YellowVMan » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:44 pm

longhair wrote:Well that's what I thought but I don't know anymore. When I told you my custom had a smart alternator I was wrong. I was led to believe euro, 5 2.2s had one. Last week I wired a volt meter up to confirm it, and mine isn't. I went on a 70 mile journey and the voltage didn't drop below 14.4, so that diagram must be for a normal charging system.


I think the they started to add the smart alts to later 2.2 with euro 5s.

There's Little to the charging system. all i can think i it is, when the first alt died it may of caused a fault code or something to come out of sync. I founded the battery neg lead of lose so tighten it expecting to feel very smart and fix the issue but nope. Yet the system works spot on.

I,m thinking it may be a damaged wires that leads to the voltage sensor somewhere.
YellowVMan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:00 am

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby amlav » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:52 am

Had a similar issue when I've changed my alternator on my 2006 vj with a brand new one but not Ford (charging light stayed on when driving) . Had it replaced with another new one and still the same . Altough it was charging ok (around 14V) but the light just would not go off . Took a multimeter and compared measurments of the brush holder assy. on the old original one and the new one . Found that readings where different in between the two of them . So i put the old (Ford) one back and no problem ,light went off . My problem was the pulley and I tought might as well change the alternator too but after those issues with the charge light I finished up just replacing the one way pulley on the old one .
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:47 am
Location: Melbourne , Australia

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby fortyeight » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:53 pm

yes burning rubber from the out side replace the alternator belt
fortyeight
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:31 pm
Location: bradford west yorkshire

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby YellowVMan » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:45 pm

amlav wrote:Had a similar issue when I've changed my alternator on my 2006 vj with a brand new one but not Ford (charging light stayed on when driving) . Had it replaced with another new one and still the same . Altough it was charging ok (around 14V) but the light just would not go off . Took a multimeter and compared measurments of the brush holder assy. on the old original one and the new one . Found that readings where different in between the two of them . So i put the old (Ford) one back and no problem ,light went off . My problem was the pulley and I tought might as well change the alternator too but after those issues with the charge light I finished up just replacing the one way pulley on the old one .



Yeah its crazy, th eonlything the garage didn't replace was the belt, had goes at telling the to replace it but they didn't way to lazy. I can't see how the light comes on only when driving yet if i leave the engine running for ages nothing happen with the battery light, but if i rev the engine a bit the light will come one with no effect on the voltage.
YellowVMan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:00 am

Re: 3rd alternator in a month mk 7 2.2

Postby YellowVMan » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:47 pm

fortyeight wrote:yes burning rubber from the out side replace the alternator belt


Tried a few times to get the garage to replace the belt when they changed the alt but I might well have tried speaking to the brick wall.
YellowVMan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:00 am

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.