*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Gear selector replacement or just bearing?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Mk7 Gear selector replacement or just bearing?

Postby Altransit » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:00 pm

neilie wrote: Is there some way I can make a contribution to the upkeep of the site etc.??

Direct monetary contributions aren't really necessary, but we always love to see a more "hands on" contribution, whereby you stay on here and try to help others with what you know (everyone knows something!)
................. or at least soak up, and dish out some banter :P :lol:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby vanduara37 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Had the stiff gearstick problem and after reading the solutions on the forum bought the new bearing & seal however after removing the selector assy I found that the pivot pin that the cable connects to had seized up so it was a case of just removing the circlip knocking out the pivot,cleaning and lubricated.
By the way changed the bearing and seal as I had stripped this far.
vanduara37
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Supermototransit » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:26 am

Hi I got same thing with my 2008 fwd 110 300 only done 35000 miles I had the bearing takein out at xmas as it was fu.ked and just the seal put back as I didn't have new part and needed the van back on road ASAP It works but now in the mornings the gear change is stiff like the clutch is on way out ,but is much better once the van has warmed up Now if I was to put the new bearing and seal in will this cure it or will I need a new selector as ford tell me ??? Or is it a clutch promlems as I did burn the clutch a bit getting it up on some ramps in the wet before I had selector promlems Any ideas ????
Supermototransit

Postby Supermototransit » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:39 am

How easy is it to take off the gear selector on a mk 7 transit fwd and put new bearing and seal ?
Supermototransit

Postby tibsy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:45 am

A lot of people seem to be having problems of this nature! Maybe time for someone to do a "step by step" photo heavy :) tutorial! , complete with part no`s.
Hopefully before i get a mk7 (so i will know what and how to do) :)
the 2 threads in the "tech how to" refer to the mk6 FWD, is the RWD set up the same?
mk7,60 plate,2.4-115ps-hirf lwb rwd
The words of the Prophet`s are written on the subway walls
tibsy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Dan T » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:10 pm

tibsy wrote:A lot of people seem to be having problems of this nature! Maybe time for someone to do a "step by step" photo heavy :) tutorial! , complete with part no`s.
Hopefully before i get a mk7 (so i will know what and how to do) :)
the 2 threads in the "tech how to" refer to the mk6 FWD, is the RWD set up the same?

The mk6 process is the same as mk7, the selectors are very slightly different but the process Is identical.
6 speed fwd and all rwd are totally different
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Supermototransit » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:03 pm

I had a new gear selector fitted but I still have the same problems changeling from 1st in to 2nd when the van is cold it's works lovely when it's warm but first thing in morning it's still stiff ?? Any ideas anyone ??
Supermototransit

Postby Altransit » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:26 pm

You could try topping up or changing the gearbox oil, or you may have a sticky cable :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby andrusl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:07 pm

you need to change the gear selector cable.
andrusl
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Surfunitone » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:08 am

Sorry for rehashing an old post, but i have this issue too.. difficult to change in all gears.. unless im slow and changing... going to change the gearbox oil first as its cold outside... then if that doesn't make much difference, going to change the bearing.. ive lubed all the cables... but im hoping to get to the bottom of this...

Do the cables need adjusting?? is that possible? (or simple?)
2.2 Duratorq-TDCi (110PS)
Surfunitone
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:05 am

Clutch dragging ?^^^

Allcock the vicar
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Surfunitone » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:55 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:Clutch dragging ?^^^

Allcock the vicar

... now this makes sense... according to google.. Clutch dragging common cause is too much slack in the clutch pedal. i changed the gearbox and clutch and when a changed the engine and it was a complete pain in the ar*s to bleed... it occasionally feels like the biting point is low.... so i might just need to bleed it more... So i'll try that before i do anything else... :) thanks Big John!!
2.2 Duratorq-TDCi (110PS)
Surfunitone
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

TRY THIS FIRST :)

Postby phil68 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi, had the same problem, difficulty selecting gear, very difficult to move the gear lever side to side, 5th and reverse almost impossible to get. I had greased the connections under the gear lever a year ago so did this again but no help, Got a good quality spray (Walther Pro gun oil), used on the joints on the top of the gear box and also on the top of the cables under the centre cover, lower dash, I could not work out how to remove the panel but if you remove the six screws you can pull the cover back enough to just get at the top of the cables where the inner and outer are. You may get some oil run down onto the floor so put some rags out. Gear change is now back to normal for free. It might not work for everyone but it is worth a try before spending out.

Cheers, Phil.
phil68

Postby crustydread » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Can I just say thanks again for this forum... :D

I was on my way to France this morning with a full load, only gone a couple of miles and suddenly I can't get gears. I got home in 2nd at about 18mph, big queue behind me... :oops:

The first thing I did was search on here. This thread popped up with exactly my symptoms and within a couple hours I've had it apart, un-seized the shaft it's all back together and working better than ever. And I haven't spent a penny... 8)

What a fantastic resource.
crustydread
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:07 pm

crustydread wrote:Can I just say thanks again for this forum... :D

I was on my way to France this morning with a full load, only gone a couple of miles and suddenly I can't get gears. I got home in 2nd at about 18mph, big queue behind me... :oops:

The first thing I did was search on here. This thread popped up with exactly my symptoms and within a couple hours I've had it apart, un-seized the shaft it's all back together and working better than ever. And I haven't spent a penny... 8) What a fantastic resource.

I'd be replacing the turret bearing assy when you get a chance...or it will eventually fail again.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions