*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Battery light and power steering problem

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Battery light and power steering problem

Postby Spintrix » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:45 am

Hi, I have a 56 plate transit double cab tipper , my power steering has become very heavy more so when I've stopped , battery light stays on but the battery is ok , fluid level is fine and no leaks as far as I can see! Having said that not sure where the pump is on this one ?

I've also noticed the brakes are quite hard as well?.

Any thoughts would be a great start before visiting the garage

Spintrix
Spintrix

Re: Battery light and power steering problem

Postby loot » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:05 am

The common denominator to all these problems is your belt, it may have come off or you may have lost a pulley or your tensioner is goosed, have a look and let us know :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby blue estate » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:39 am

loot wrote:The common denominator to all these problems is your belt, it may have come off or you may have lost a pulley or your tensioner is goosed, have a look and let us know :-)

+1 I reckon crank pulley has parted company :wink:
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby ake » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:08 am

Another vote for belt or crank pulley
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Spintrix » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi

Thanks for the replys

Started up, did a full lock and kept foot on brake , the belt stops turning ,,!!

Think a new belt is needed as looks a little worn

Thanks for your advice guys :D
Spintrix

Postby NCTurbulence » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:17 am

I have the same problem and I am certain it is your steering rack itself that is the problem, if you park against a kerb and turn into it after you've started her up the belt will stop turning as the rack jams and stops the steering pump ans belt from turning, the crank and alternator keep spinning but the belt remains still so the battery light comes in, it will continue to drive until either the belt slips off or the battery dies, also you have no power steering and the brakes are also terrible as there's no vacuum to the servo. no fun when it happens and there's no hard shoulder on the motorway I can tell you, new steering rack, changing it isnt too bad, just take the track rod ends off and the mounts and pull it out the drivers side.
my rack use to be stiff on start up then was fine for the rest of the day, but over time it gradually got worse until the belt stopped and must have got trapped and sheared the rubber off the bottom pulley, nightmare :roll:
NCTurbulence

Postby knobby1 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:10 am

NCTurbulence wrote:I have the same problem and I am certain it is your steering rack itself that is the problem, if you park against a kerb and turn into it after you've started her up the belt will stop turning as the rack jams and stops the steering pump ans belt from turning, the crank and alternator keep spinning but the belt remains still so the battery light comes in, it will continue to drive until either the belt slips off or the battery dies, also you have no power steering and the brakes are also terrible as there's no vacuum to the servo. no fun when it happens and there's no hard shoulder on the motorway I can tell you, new steering rack, changing it isnt too bad, just take the track rod ends off and the mounts and pull it out the drivers side.
my rack use to be stiff on start up then was fine for the rest of the day, but over time it gradually got worse until the belt stopped and must have got trapped and sheared the rubber off the bottom pulley, nightmare :roll:

This thread is well over 5 years old and the person you're talking to hasn't been on this forum since then....methinks you're wasting your breath.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions