*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Coolant leak spilling out from under centre console

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Coolant leak spilling out from under centre console

Postby Brains_transit » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:05 pm

GerryVega wrote:Hi,
I've got pretty much exactly the same problem as the previous poster: leaking heater matrix, in France, seeking quick fix. I've got the pipe and clamps, now trying to tell myself it's Ok to cut the hoses. Any recommendations where? Should I expect much coolant to come gushing out? Ideally if the original poster had a photos of the quick fix bypass that would be fantastic but no worries if not.
Cheers for any help

Disconnect the hoses as I mentioned earlier and then cut the metal pipes of the matrix not the rubber hoses and then insert the cut pipes back into the hoses and bridge the gap with your new hose and clips
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:38 pm

Brains_transit wrote:
GerryVega wrote:Hi,
I've got pretty much exactly the same problem as the previous poster: leaking heater matrix, in France, seeking quick fix. I've got the pipe and clamps, now trying to tell myself it's Ok to cut the hoses. Any recommendations where? Should I expect much coolant to come gushing out? Ideally if the original poster had a photos of the quick fix bypass that would be fantastic but no worries if not.
Cheers for any help

Disconnect the hoses as I mentioned earlier and then cut the metal pipes of the matrix not the rubber hoses and then insert the cut pipes back into the hoses and bridge the gap with your new hose and clips

Yep...do as Brains has mentioned, just connect the two heater hoses to each other using a piece of the matrix pipe... where they go through the bulkhead/firewall.....it just by-passes the heater to get you going...you'll have no heater but at least you'll be able to drive it. Then replace the matrix when you get the chance.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby smokeytransit » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:55 pm

What I done before on a mates mk6 transit that had a leaky matrix was disconnect the pipes going on to the matrix ( can be a pain to remove on some transits ) and blocked the two metal pipes on the matrix with silicone let it set then shoved the rubber pipes back on to the matrix job done never leaked. I only done it this way as I did not want to cut the rubber pipes to join them together as mentioned above as I could not due to them having white plastic clips that shove onto the matrix itself and the pipe that I would had used was to thick to fit through them. :D
Ford, all the power beyond the world.

Mk6 transit 85 t260
smokeytransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby GerryVega » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks for tips. Unfortunately all I've got to join with is a bit of steel pipe and some hose clamps so I'm going to have to cut the hoses but I guess I'll do my best to keep theme as long a possible. Did a fair drive today an had to top up coolant and now have one very soggy towel that was soaking it up but this can't go on. Fingers crossed.
GerryVega

Postby dcwuk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:10 pm

Sorry to dig up this old thread but does anyone know the part no for these hoses
I need to replace the lower one of the two in the picture posted above.
Its been chaffing on the injecter pipe and sprung a pinhole leak.
cheers
'I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.'
-George Bush
dcwuk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:52 pm

dcwuk wrote:Sorry to dig up this old thread but does anyone know the part no for these hoses
I need to replace the lower one of the two in the picture posted above.
Its been chaffing on the injecter pipe and sprung a pinhole leak.
cheers

What year model and engine type/ps??..They vary widely between models and engine type.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dcwuk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks for replying its a 2006 MK6 280 SWB 2.0 diesel
'I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.'
-George Bush
dcwuk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:31 am

dcwuk wrote:Thanks for replying its a 2006 MK6 280 SWB 2.0 diesel

Does this help..??

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... NzUyKzA%3D

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dcwuk » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:15 am

Yes thank you for that. Should help me find the correct pipe.
-George Bush
dcwuk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions