*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Van brakes on its own.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Van brakes on its own.

Postby crapmetal » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:31 pm

I thought I'd update this in case it helps anyone.

I've still not got to the bottom of this but it didn't stop me getting an MOT so I've learned to live with it for now.

It definitely wasn't the reluctor rings and I have not codes thrown up but the esp off button doesn't do anything anymore so I think it's most likely the abs controller.

Does anyone know if the abs controller needs to be programmed or can I just throw on a 2nd hand one?
crapmetal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:28 pm

crapmetal wrote:I thought I'd update this in case it helps anyone.

I've still not got to the bottom of this but it didn't stop me getting an MOT so I've learned to live with it for now.

It definitely wasn't the reluctor rings and I have not codes thrown up but the esp off button doesn't do anything anymore so I think it's most likely the abs controller.

Does anyone know if the abs controller needs to be programmed or can I just throw on a 2nd hand one?

On what..?? Oh I see now...I'm a daft bugga sometimes :oops:

Lord Knobrot
Last edited by knobby1 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:33 pm

knobby1 wrote:
crapmetal wrote:I thought I'd update this in case it helps anyone.

On what..??

Lord Knobrot

The op says its a mk 7 fwd in his original post :mrgreen:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:20 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:The op says its a mk 7 fwd in his original post :mrgreen:

As mentioned...I'm a daft bugga ... :oops:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby crapmetal » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:10 am

I might have a look tomorrow on forscan to see if there is anything going on I can see, I'm not sure what the garage used to check the system. I've been meaning to have a play with it anyway as I want to reprogram an old key and remove the limiter. Any tips are appreciated but I'm hoping it's as straight forward as it looks.
crapmetal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby grumpygramps-2007 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:46 am

I had this problem on my van which turned out to be the handbrake cable seizing up. cheap fix if it is.
grumpygramps-2007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 pm

grumpygramps-2007 wrote:I had this problem on my van which turned out to be the handbrake cable seizing up. cheap fix if it is.

Has your van got the handbrake on the front wheels :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:
grumpygramps-2007 wrote:I had this problem on my van which turned out to be the handbrake cable seizing up. cheap fix if it is.

Has your van got the handbrake on the front wheels :?:

:lol:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby crapmetal » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, it's early days but from a quick run round the block with a lot of stop starts I think it's sorted and it was the steering angle sensor as was suggested. I needed to reset the module before it would take a calibration but it seems to be working properly again.

Forscan was very good, it's a bit nerve racking for the first time but I've done plenty of thing like this before with pcs and phones so knew the drill (be pretty sure before changing stuff). I also added a key and removed my 70mph limit while I was in there so I'm pretty pleased right now. :)
crapmetal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions