*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 starting issues

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Mk6 starting issues

Postby CM07DAY » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi everyone
I have read numerous threads regarding this but can't seem to find an answer

I have a 53 plate 125 350 jumbo with 175k miles on it. I purchased last year (with no history) to store things in so the running issue didn't bother me but now I want to use it so here's the problem

It takes a good 30 secs or so of cranking to fire up and when it does there's a large white smoke cloud from the exhaust. This cloud of smoke disappears instantly and once running runs really well. I can use it during the day and the starting is improved yet still takes some cranking to start. The next morning it's the same thing all over again.
Both starter motor and battery have been replaced aswell

Any suggestions on the smoke or poor starting please as I want to be able to drive it without the thought of it not starting?
Many thanks in advance
CM07DAY
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk6 starting issues

Postby david.reid83 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:47 pm

Could be an injector starting to fail so it’s trying to start I 3 cylinders and not 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
david.reid83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby twin wheel camper » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:57 pm

CM07DAY wrote:Hi everyone
I have read numerous threads regarding this but can't seem to find an answer

I have a 53 plate 125 350 jumbo with 175k miles on it. I purchased last year (with no history) to store things in so the running issue didn't bother me but now I want to use it so here's the problem

It takes a good 30 secs or so of cranking to fire up and when it does there's a large white smoke cloud from the exhaust. This cloud of smoke disappears instantly and once running runs really well. I can use it during the day and the starting is improved yet still takes some cranking to start. The next morning it's the same thing all over again.
Both starter motor and battery have been replaced aswell

Any suggestions on the smoke or poor starting please as I want to be able to drive it without the thought of it not starting?
Many thanks in advance

The smoke will be unburnt diesel that as your cranking for 30 seconds isn’t being burnt of properly and then is burnt after it is started
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ned » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Are your glow plugs working?
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby CM07DAY » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:45 pm

david.reid83 wrote:Could be an injector starting to fail so it’s trying to start I 3 cylinders and not 4

makes sense, how do i test them?

ned wrote:Are your glow plugs working?

again how would i test?
CM07DAY
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby david.reid83 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:49 pm

If you do a leak test that points you in the right direction, it tests the amount of fuel that’s returned on the fuel return line per cylinder if you look it up on you tube you can get a kit or some fish tank hose and a few bottles and run the engine for 5 mins you will get 3 showing the same amount roughly of fuel and one that will show a bigger difference

david.reid83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby david.reid83 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:50 pm

As for the glow plugs do a resistance test with a multimeter If one has a high resistance or nothing at all then that’s at fault

david.reid83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:18 pm

david.reid83 wrote:If you do a leak test that points you in the right direction, it tests the amount of fuel that’s returned on the fuel return line per cylinder if you look it up on you tube you can get a kit or some fish tank hose and a few bottles and run the engine for 5 mins you will get 3 showing the same amount roughly of fuel and one that will show a bigger difference

How do you do dat with a tddi :wink:
I think Ned is on the right road :)
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim Archer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:22 am

Another +1 for glowplugs. Plus sounds like there's a airleak too.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Brains_transit » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:04 pm

When my battery's were on the way out I found that morning starts it took longer to start,I fitted new batteries and starter and it was the same so i checked the fuel filter and it was half filled so must be an air leak syphoning back to the tank. The engine earth lead was to blame as the starter wasn't getting full power. Once I replaced it the engine starts almost instant and fine now left for a week
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions