*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit reversing camera (very irritating) problem

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit reversing camera (very irritating) problem

Postby snowie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:13 am

I have a 2017 Transit Custom with a Ford fitted standard reversing camera on it.
The screen is sectioned off into separate areas and if there is an obstacle in an area, it sets off the alarm and that area shows up red.
The problem is that every time I put the van into reverse, the warning alarm starts, and an area shows red.
There is no obstacle on the ground, so there should be no alarm.
It is always the same red highlighted area on the screen every time.
So I'm wondering if there could be a scratch (although nothing visible and no amount of cleaning and polishing stops it), on the camera lens causing it to identify an obstacle, ,
or could there be a problem with the electronics in the camera set up, which always shows up with the same red warning area.
Reading this back, it sounds very confusing, but anyone with this type of camera will 'possibly' understand what I am talking about!
I know the alarm can be switched off, but i do use the camera in other reversing situations where the alarm is handy.
The van is still under warranty, and going for a service within a couple of months, I would just like opinions from those here who may have had a similar problem.
And although it's not a major problem, it drives me nuts every time it happens.
Cheers.
snowie
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Transit reversing camera (very irritating) problem

Postby knobby1 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:08 am

It's not the camera that senses objects....it's the reversing sensors in the rear bumper, (if fitted)...you may have a duff one.... or two.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... EzNQ%3D%3D

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby steve58 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:04 pm

I had the same problem with my mk8.After changing sensors with no luck,it turned out to be the tow ball.It was fitted with a ball and pin tow hitch removed it and fitted just a ball witch don't stick out so far,sorted no more alarm
steve58
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby snowie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Thanks for both replies. I do have a tow bar fitted which is just the 'ball'. I had thought of taking it off, but the camera/alarm was working fine until a few months ago.
So, if it worked okay with a tow bar fitted, and then stopped working, and nothing on the tow bar has changed, i would have thought something has 'broke'.
There are also sensors on the bumper, but how do you tell which one is giving the error?
Thanks
snowie
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:18 am

snowie wrote:Thanks for both replies. I do have a tow bar fitted which is just the 'ball'. I had thought of taking it off, but the camera/alarm was working fine until a few months ago.
So, if it worked okay with a tow bar fitted, and then stopped working, and nothing on the tow bar has changed, i would have thought something has 'broke'.
There are also sensors on the bumper, but how do you tell which one is giving the error?
Thanks

IDS/Forscan will tell you if a sensor or it's wiring is duff.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions