*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1997 MK5 Smiley intermittant starting

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

1997 MK5 Smiley intermittant starting

Postby Don-44 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi guys,
I have tried the forum before but have now got to the end of my tether with this fault!!

Just trying this as a long shot but is there anyone in the Cheltenham area or has had this problem in the past who might be able to help me with an intermittent non starting problems on a MK5 Smiley 1997?

I've put questions on the forums before but non of the replies really helped as there is no immobiliser light to decipher any flashes.

It all started when I had to take the dash out. I then got nothing when trying to start it, lights etc was all OK but no clicks or anything. The next day it fired up OK. I subsequently found numerous fuse holders corroded and replaced them with an extra fuse box, which seemed to cure it for months and I even travelled from Newquay to Cheltenham without any probs. Suddenly it wouldn't start again. Over the past 2 days I've replaced the wires in the fuse box back to original with new spares. (Fuses 31- 36)

It will only turn over when pin 85 is shorted to ground on the yellow inhibitor relay, the relay clicks on and off when turning the key, and I also have voltage to the solenoid pump on both the violet/white wires and a good earth on the third wire. I've inspected the PATS board and that seems all OK.

I have 3 red topped keys (one a "Master") and tried them all to no avail.

I'm also not sure if Haynes has depicted the starter inhibitor relay and the Starter relay correct?? If the yellow relay is No.6 item, Where is No.7 (Or vice versa).

It's not as if I've much hair to pull out anymore!! Any advice appreciated
Don-44
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 1997 MK5 Smiley intermittant starting

Postby Chug » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Have you tried running a supply lead direct to the pump solenoid and a jump lead from battery to the starter, and then touching starter solenoid terminal against the jump lead with a wire, spanner or screwdriver?
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Don-44 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Cheers Chuggy,

Did exactly that today as I couldn't get any further, thanks for confirming it, got the directions courtesy of CornishRob (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN-C-CcCj7I)

Took it all apart, continuity checked between the connector and the black wire in the PATS to the solenoid...nada so, drilled a hole in the top of the PATS and the plate and soldered a wire onto the solenoid with the nut on it. bit neater and more secure. Added the 12v and after a heart stopping moment where it just turned, it then coughed and started when the fuel got through...seems to have sorted it thanks.
Don-44
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Don-44 wrote: Anyone know ...Can the solenoid be replaced without changing/reprogramming the key?

If you're talking about the RIM module on the back of the pump, then they're coded to the PATS.

I got fed up with the one on my Mk5 causing non-starts, it had been previously damaged by a thief, so I took it off, and connected directly from the ignition switch to the stop solenoid :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Don-44 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:40 pm

Thanks Altransit,

Just edited my last post as it didn't make sense..yes I think it's the RIM but wasn't sure. So yes basically I've done the same as you and bypassed the PATS. Might need to go back in to put a grommet around the fly wire and slightly bigger hole. Just pleased to get it running!
Don-44
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Just leave it as is then, the PATS on a Mk5 isn't a serious security feature anyway.
You would be better off fitting some better door locks, or maybe just a decent steering wheel lock :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions