*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine Oil leak - Mk7 2.2 2009 FWD Semi-hi Camper

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Engine Oil leak - Mk7 2.2 2009 FWD Semi-hi Camper

Postby Lew is » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:32 pm

Hi all,

Newbie to posting. :) I have a Mk7 2.2 2009 FWD Semi-hi (Camper Conversion).

So, I have an oil leak I am trying to locate. I will take it to a garage, i live in France and want to have an idea of the precise problem before i take it in.

I'm not asking for you to locate it... But i do have a specific question. Basically what is this part on the air inlet pipe (see photos) and should i be concerned as it has a lot of oil on it?

Details:
Seems worse when engine running/driving.
Drips from bottom of sump.
Sump is pretty much covered in oil underneath.
Also some oil around injectors. (But can't see if it somehow makes its way down the engine exterior to the sump)
Transient, minor loss of power on occasion.
Not sure if related but does have a slight chemical odour to exhaust on starting sometimes.

I did a test with water and washing up liquid on injectors to see if bubbles, but nothing. (Photo shows oil around injectors but also bit of water.)
Engine.jpg

I noticed (the highlighted part) what appears to be the air inlet pipe, has a lot of oil on it. What is this? Is this normal to have oil here? Close up...
Close up.jpg

Your thoughts are very welcome indeed. Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lew is

Re: Engine Oil leak - Mk7 2.2 2009 FWD Semi-hi Camper

Postby knobby1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:07 am

That's your turbo air inlet hose. Oil will be coming from rocker cover/breather system which finds it's way into the air inlet. It's normal for a small amount of oil inside the pipes...but no an excessive amount.

Give the engine a good old fashioned clean/degrease all over....after that any oil leaks will be obvious.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Lew is » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:40 am

knobby1 wrote:That's your turbo air inlet hose. Oil will be coming from rocker cover/breather system which finds it's way into the air inlet. It's normal for a small amount of oil inside the pipes...but no an excessive amount.

Give the engine a good old fashioned clean/degrease all over....after that any oil leaks will be obvious.

Lord Knobrot

Thanks! Will clean her up and find the leak. Cheers.
Lew is

Postby DAZZ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:49 am

almost guarantee that the injector seals are passing, mine was doing exactly the same thing.
seals leak allowing compression into the rocker cover. This then blows with oil mist down the breather pipe before the turbo. The excess oil then leaks out and runs down back of engine.

There are many posts on forum regarding the injector seals
2008 mk7 280 85 Crew cab - poverty spec :lol:
Replaced with......... a 300c estate :lol:

now sold, the judder did me ed' in :lol:
suppose my 350z and hayabusa will have to do for now :twisted:
DAZZ
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions