*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

fitting valve cover on Mk 6 petrol engine

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

fitting valve cover on Mk 6 petrol engine

Postby serenmor » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:19 pm

The bolts which fasten down the valve cover (Mk 6 petrol, 2.3 DOHC) go through a type of metal sleeve set into the edges of the cover. These are brass-coloured tubes about an inch long. The problem is that when you take the cover off, some of the sleeves are loose and fall out as you lift the cover. Having done this recently, I recovered all of the sleeves except two. As this was the first time I have removed the cover on this engine, I don't know whether they were already missing or whether they fell out and disappeared into the black hole where all missing tools and parts go.

Anyway, although they are not critical,I would like to do a proper job and replace them. So does anyone know where I can get them , and even what they are called if I Google them? As I say they are metal tubes about an inch long , and maybe 7mm diam. I have tried several parts shops and my local Ford dealer, but they are not available. Maybe there is a mechanic out there who has some in his bit box?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
serenmor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: fitting valve cover on Mk 6 petrol engine

Postby knobby1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:44 pm

Does this help..??

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... I2NA%3D%3D

Are you sure they didn't fall "into" the engine..?? If so you may be in a spot of bother.. :shock:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby madmart132 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:05 am

As Knobby says they may have fallen into the engine and they are essential to the sealing of the gasket anyway I would get a good magnetic parts hook and look for them
To get new ones I would look on Gumtree or eBay for someone who is breaking one
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby serenmor » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Yes, I did check the cylinders with an endoscope through the spark plug holes before starting up! The manual says to remove the plugs before the valve cover, bad idea- I wasn't expecting a shower of small metal tubes as I lifted the valve cover! I looked everywhere for the missing two, the others were in between the camshafts and easy to find. As the van had signs of sloppy work in the past (eg, wrong thermostat fitted, causing the engine to run cold so the LPG system didn't work), I am thinking that a previous mechanic may have lost the sleeves and replaced the valve cover without them, which is what I did in the end.

Anyway it's now running ok, I suppose I'll have to buy a complete valve cover form ebay or a scrapyard, the local Ford dealer doesn't even list the sleeves as a separate item.
Thanks for the replies.
serenmor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby madmart132 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Where in country are you ?
madmart132
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions