*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Experience removing a police cell from a transit?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Experience removing a police cell from a transit?

Postby hifromjake » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:02 am

Hello!

I'm looking at buying an ex-police transit that has a police cell in the back. Has anybody got any experience in how easy it is to remove one?

Pretty niche question!

Thanks in advance!
hifromjake

Re: Experience removing a police cell from a transit?

Postby Herts » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Keep it in for when you take the mother in law out.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy
MK7 - 2.4 RWD/HR/LWB 3.5T 140HP (BIG BOYS TOY!)

Number 1 Emergency Call out Engineer!!!

http://www.hertsplumbinganddrainage.co.uk
Herts
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ABA » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Herts wrote:Keep it in for when you take the mother in law out.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy

keep it for the kids
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby twin wheel camper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:52 pm

hifromjake wrote:Hello!

I'm looking at buying an ex-police transit that has a police cell in the back. Has anybody got any experience in how easy it is to remove one?

Pretty niche question!

Thanks in advance!

Might be a few members who had a good look at the inside although they might of being under the influence when being transported :lol:
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby RustWidow » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:53 pm

I’d keep it for transporting dogs lol must be welded in I would’ve thought. Can you ask if they will remove it? Sometimes the police take off all the extras to put in a new vehicle
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Wadey » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:46 pm

There an absolute nightmare to take out we used to do them for the police when they where end of life
I would stay well away from it if it was just a transport vehicle the ones with smaller cells ain’t as bad though they are MOT and tax exempt when the police use them and they don’t seem to like welding them iv not seen a good one yet
The are hozed out every time someone decides to piss puke or worse in the back every one iv done has been hiding a multitude of sins when we pulled them out,
They decided to start leaving the cages in and just taking the doors off as it was costing them more to get them to pass an mot than it was making at auction
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby hifromjake » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:22 pm

Wadey wrote:There an absolute nightmare to take out we used to do them for the police when they where end of life
I would stay well away from it if it was just a transport vehicle the ones with smaller cells ain’t as bad though they are MOT and tax exempt when the police use them and they don’t seem to like welding them iv not seen a good one yet
The are hozed out every time someone decides to piss puke or worse in the back every one iv done has been hiding a multitude of sins when we pulled them out,
They decided to start leaving the cages in and just taking the doors off as it was costing them more to get them to pass an mot than it was making at auction

It's a 6 seater, so has a small cell in the back. Want it out to fit band gear in the back mostly.
hifromjake

Postby stuvy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Never buy an ex police vehicle have you seen how long they’ve been run for and hammered over speed bumps

Granted there well maintained but I’d buy one with out and then fit the extra seats you need and put a bulkhead in invade of a crash as amps and speakers weigh a lot in an accident
stuvy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions