*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Air conditioner cold at idle, cool under load mk6

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Air conditioner cold at idle, cool under load mk6

Postby ShipAhoy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:21 am

The air conditioner was blowing cool, not cold air. It was found to be low of gas and is now recharged. Tech then tested at idle and temperature was 5deg C coming out for vent. Once I started driving AC went cool again. When I stopped and sat at idle AC was cold again.

Seems that about 80kph (2600rpm) AC gets warmer. This is a T430 115 (Motorhome) and I am thinking there simply is not enough power for both driving and running the compressor. Is there a cutout on the compressor when under load? Perhaps warm air is being forced into the system at speed even though the AC is set to recirculate. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
ShipAhoy

Re: Air conditioner cold at idle, cool under load mk6

Postby knobby1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:51 am

ShipAhoy wrote:The air conditioner was blowing cool, not cold air. It was found to be low of gas and is now recharged. Tech then tested at idle and temperature was 5deg C coming out for vent. Once I started driving AC went cool again. When I stopped and sat at idle AC was cold again.

Seems that about 80kph (2600rpm) AC gets warmer. This is a T430 115 (Motorhome) and I am thinking there simply is not enough power for both driving and running the compressor. Is there a cutout on the compressor when under load? Perhaps warm air is being forced into the system at speed even though the AC is set to recirculate. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

There's an "over-pressure and under-pressure" switch which may be kicking in.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cider Andy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:44 pm

It sounds like the static system pressure is too high.
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ShipAhoy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:49 am

Thanks for the info. I will have it checked out.
ShipAhoy

Return to Technical Problems & Questions