*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Developing fault?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Developing fault?

Postby Mad Husky » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:57 am

Right a bit strange this one ideas wanted, The van 2.4 Tddi Mk6 06 the van has been standing for a couple of weeks so knew the battery would be down as I have been in and out locking and unlocking so guessed it would be low. Two days ago fired it up no trouble went to it yesterday no start low battery refused to go even after a jump so left it on charge went and got some more fuel as it was low light had just come on thought maybe low fuel and the way it was it was parked on a slight slant. Tried it again it almost started then died and refused to go went on like this most of the day, eventually got it running and went for a drive no problems ran fine except for a whine like wind blowing through a crack checked all hoses and fluids all fine went to it today fired up first turn of the key ran for a minute then died took a few more turns fired back up drove fine except for this whine it's not turbo it's louder and seems to come and go it's there even at idle, have I got a fault developing no codes other than one for a dome light anyone come across this any pointers with no code.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Developing fault?

Postby andz327 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:41 am

andz327 wrote:
Mad Husky wrote:Right a bit strange this one ideas wanted, The van 2.4 Tddi Mk6 06 the van has been standing for a couple of weeks so knew the battery would be down as I have been in and out locking and unlocking so guessed it would be low. Two days ago fired it up no trouble went to it yesterday no start low battery refused to go even after a jump so left it on charge went and got some more fuel as it was low light had just come on thought maybe low fuel and the way it was it was parked on a slight slant. Tried it again it almost started then died and refused to go went on like this most of the day, eventually got it running and went for a drive no problems ran fine except for a whine like wind blowing through a crack checked all hoses and fluids all fine went to it today fired up first turn of the key ran for a minute then died took a few more turns fired back up drove fine except for this whine it's not turbo it's louder and seems to come and go it's there even at idle, have I got a fault developing no codes other than one for a dome light anyone come across this any pointers with no code
Whine might be your alternator on way oot

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mad Husky » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:46 am

cheers will have a look sounds alternator side but noises can come from anywhere couldn't look under the bonnet as the key was in the ignition.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mad Husky » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:26 pm

Just gone out did a visual grab the pulley test no movement so started it up whine appears to be other side of the motor waterpump or low pressure pump or whatever it is on top of the waterpump in that area. So think it could be waterpump bearing. going to check voltages with multimeter.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:41 pm

Remove the alternator belt and spin all the pulleys by hand when my mk6 got to 108000 first the both the idlers whent then the Waterpump followed by the alternator and finally the viscous fan drive bearings not the fan unit that’s why they have a100000 mile warranty :D
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mad Husky » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:49 pm

That was on my to do list all pulleys seem to be running true except the waterpump which seems to have a wobble that's why i thought it was that, the viscous fan i got lucky had to replace the gearbox and the guy selling the box had a fan asked how much he wanted as I knew mine was failing he said take it got loads lying around result. I took his number as he breaks transits in his backyard. Just priced the waterpump and vac pump as it recommends both be replaced £68.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Technical Problems & Questions