*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit MK7 - Question

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Transit MK7 - Question

Postby Ashley S » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Hello all,

I am looking at running my own business "Man and Van" I am looking at a Transit MK7 at around 2008-2011 if possible.
My budget is £3,000 is that too low?

Also.. I've seen MK7's with 120k+ mileage is that a lot for these vans?
Cheers!
Ashley S
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Transit MK7 - Question

Postby Cider Andy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:53 pm

£3000 should afford you a decent one, if you shop around. 120,000 miles isn't really a lot for the engine itself, although there are all sorts of ancillary bits that can have failed in that time. The key is finding one that's been maintained properly with a history file to back it up. A few years ago I saw a very tidy mk7 for sale that had covered 596,000 miles (with a £10,000 service history file!) so the vans are definitely up to it. And I've seen Mondeo taxis with the same engine with over 400,000 miles on the original engine. No more goes wrong with them than any other van, really.

At that age though, watch out for rust. I have an early (2006) mk7 which was getting pretty rusty when I bought it at less than six years old. On the other hand I have an identical van from 2011 which has no rust at all. A useful tool is the DVLA's MOT history checker, which will show if it's already been spotted and/or repaired.

The mk7 appeared in a multitude of configurations with petrol or diesel engines, front wheel drive and rear whell drive, short, medium, long and extra long wheelbase and low, medium and high roofs so I don't think you'll struggle to find something suitable.
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Cider Andy wrote:£3000 should afford you a decent one, if you shop around. 120,000 miles isn't really a lot for the engine itself, although there are all sorts of ancillary bits that can have failed in that time. The key is finding one that's been maintained properly with a history file to back it up. A few years ago I saw a very tidy mk7 for sale that had covered 596,000 miles (with a £10,000 service history file!) so the vans are definitely up to it. And I've seen Mondeo taxis with the same engine with over 400,000 miles on the original engine. No more goes wrong with them than any other van, really.

At that age though, watch out for rust. I have an early (2006) mk7 which was getting pretty rusty when I bought it at less than six years old. On the other hand I have an identical van from 2011 which has no rust at all. A useful tool is the DVLA's MOT history checker, which will show if it's already been spotted and/or repaired.

The mk7 appeared in a multitude of configurations with petrol or diesel engines, front wheel drive and rear whell drive, short, medium, long and extra long wheelbase and low, medium and high roofs so I don't think you'll struggle to find something suitable.

Show us a Mondeo with a mk 7 engine in it , go on go on go on we need to see it :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cider Andy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:38 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Show us a Mondeo with a mk 7 engine in it , go on go on go on we need to see it :wink:

I'm telling the OP the Duratorq is good for 400,000 miles, but you knew that. Didn't ya.....?
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Cider Andy wrote:
bambi mk 1 wrote:Show us a Mondeo with a mk 7 engine in it , go on go on go on we need to see it :wink:

I'm telling the OP the Duratorq is good for 400,000 miles, but you knew that. Didn't ya.....?

Are you in politics by any chance :?: If not you should become involved :idea:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cider Andy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:Are you in politics by any chance :?:

Politics? Nah.
Splitting hairs? Nah.

I don't mind offering help when it's needed though.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions