*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Clutch/Slave Cylinder advice

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Clutch/Slave Cylinder advice

Postby Gaorchardgrounds » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi,

I have a Mk7 2.2 260 Trend.

I had a full clutch and flywheel replacement last week, obviously not cheap. All was fine until yesterday the clutch went really spongy, even to the point that if I depress the clutch and remove my foot, it comes up slowly.
I called up the garage who said it could be the master cylinder. They’ve had it back in today and changed the master cylinder and hose. It’s made a slight improvement but it’s far from good.

They are now saying it could be the slave cylinder. Does anyone know if this slave cylinder is internal/normally changed with a clutch replacement or external? If it is internal then this is surely the garages problem as it shouldn’t have gone after a week?

Any advice would be great. I’m not too pleased that I’ve spent quite a bit on a clutch that has gone wrong after a week, would just like to know before I go back up there.

Thanks
Gaorchardgrounds
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Clutch/Slave Cylinder advice

Postby andz327 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Gaorchardgrounds wrote:Hi,

I have a Mk7 2.2 260 Trend.

I had a full clutch and flywheel replacement last week, obviously not cheap. All was fine until yesterday the clutch went really spongy, even to the point that if I depress the clutch and remove my foot, it comes up slowly.
I called up the garage who said it could be the master cylinder. They’ve had it back in today and changed the master cylinder and hose. It’s made a slight improvement but it’s far from good.

They are now saying it could be the slave cylinder. Does anyone know if this slave cylinder is internal/normally changed with a clutch replacement or external? If it is internal then this is surely the garages problem as it shouldn’t have gone after a week?

Any advice would be great. I’m not too pleased that I’ve spent quite a bit on a clutch that has gone wrong after a week, would just like to know before I go back up there.

Thanks
It would be ridiculous for a garage NOT to fit a slave when replacing clutch
How many horse power is your van ? And if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost ? and what make of clutch got fitted ?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Gaorchardgrounds » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:54 pm

It’s 115hp. I paid £920 for clutch and dual mass flywheel replacement. I have no idea about the make of the clutch, it simply says “clutch kit” on the invoice.

He said if the slave was external to the clutch, that they wouldn’t have replaced it. I’ve normally trusted this garage but I do feel I might be being had with this one. The clutch was replaced because the bearing was going, there were never any signs of it being spongy before.

Thanks
Gaorchardgrounds
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:05 pm

115ps FWD would be a 6speed..?? If so the slave is internal.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... EzMw%3D%3D

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Gaorchardgrounds wrote:It’s 115hp. I paid £920 for clutch and dual mass flywheel replacement. I have no idea about the make of the clutch, it simply says “clutch kit” on the invoice.

He said if the slave was external to the clutch, that they wouldn’t have replaced it. I’ve normally trusted this garage but I do feel I might be being had with this one. The clutch was replaced because the bearing was going, there were never any signs of it being spongy before.

Thanks
HOLLY FOOK £920
Mate here's an LUK kit which is including CONCENTRIC SLAVE CYLINDER (CSC)Image
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Gaorchardgrounds » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:16 am

knobby1 wrote:115ps FWD would be a 6speed..?? If so the slave is internal.

Yep it’s a 6 speed
Gaorchardgrounds
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Gaorchardgrounds » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:19 am

andz327 wrote: HOLLY FOOK £920

Tell me about it! You can probably understand why I’m not too pleased about it
Gaorchardgrounds
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Gaorchardgrounds » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:25 am

Cheers for the advice, it’s good to know that the slave is internal.

They have now replaced everything from the master cylinder including hose to the new clutch and it’s still not working properly. This surely means this is an error/faulty part from their installation?
Gaorchardgrounds
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:58 am

Gaorchardgrounds wrote:Cheers for the advice, it’s good to know that the slave is internal.

They have now replaced everything from the master cylinder including hose to the new clutch and it’s still not working properly. This surely means this is an error/faulty part from their installation?
Internal as in next to clutch not actully inside gearbox , should be done same time as clutch, like pic of the luk kit i showed you it had it included and it's LUK thats in ford from facrory

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Gaorchardgrounds » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks for the advice on this thread.

It was good to know the facts before I complained. They do use the LUK kits, I saw a few of them stacked up in the office so once I’d mentioned what you said there was no wriggling out of it.

They have agreed to put it right.

Cheers again
Gaorchardgrounds
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions