*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.2 tdci transit

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

2.2 tdci transit

Postby Kyle101 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi guys, just looking for some advice on my van...

When I first start the van in a morning when cold it has a rough idle and throws out a white cloud of smoke then is clear after about 5 seconds for rest of day (then eventually idles better but tappety)

So I decided the next day in the morning to unplug each injector and the noise changed apart from the 1st injector on the timing chain side and the smoke stopped (but whem i unplug it when engine is warm the sound changes on that injector) so putting 2 and 2 together I decided to do a leak off test and the 1st injector filled a bottle in the space of 4 mins (when engine warm)

So is that a sign that the injector is knackered and is giving me a cold start rough idle and smoke??? I'm just really confused cause the engine changes sound when warm on that injector but not cold

Thanks guys
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2.2 tdci transit

Postby ned » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:30 pm

Sounds like a duff injector to me.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kyle101 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Cheers mate

Can anybody else give any experience on this or ideas be much appreciated, thanks
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:08 pm

Kyle101 wrote:Cheers mate

Can anybody else give any experience on this or ideas be much appreciated, thanks

Agree with our Ned, have you done an injector leak-off check..?? This will give a good indication of their condition. Check to see if the injector clamps are secure, they often come loose. If this proves ok, a full set of learns may help.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kyle101 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:46 am

hi mate thanks for the reply. i have indeed done a leak off test on the injector ive mentioned above, does fill a full bottle in the space of 4 mins from start (i didnt warm engine up first) the rest dont fill much which i presume is good and ive checked the clamps mate they appear to be solid/ no noise coming from oil cap, so just to clarify pal is that injector causing the white fuel smell smoke? when i unplug it when cold the noise doesnt change but stops smoking and when i unplug it when engines warm the engine noise changes is that the normal sign of a dodgy injector?

(theres no smoke after a good rev but tappety)

thanks, kyle
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 am

Kyle101 wrote:hi mate thanks for the reply. i have indeed done a leak off test on the injector ive mentioned above, does fill a full bottle in the space of 4 mins from start (i didnt warm engine up first) the rest dont fill much which i presume is good and ive checked the clamps mate they appear to be solid/ no noise coming from oil cap, so just to clarify pal is that injector causing the white fuel smell smoke? when i unplug it when cold the noise doesnt change but stops smoking and when i unplug it when engines warm the engine noise changes is that the normal sign of a dodgy injector? (theres no smoke after a good rev but tappety)
thanks, kyle

Leak-off limits are 25-40ml at idle over four minutes. If one or more is much higher it will indeed cause grief and will never pass the learns procedure. Yes, it will almost certainly be causing the poor idle and smoke etc...
You'll need it repaired or replaced, if replaced it will then need coding in via IDS or Forscan...then a softwear update if it hasn't been done recently....then a full set of learns. Your "tappety" noise may well be diesel knock caused be poor pump, SCV, and injection calibration.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kyle101 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:45 pm

Ok thank you mate ill give that a try. i have a few transits that are recently becoming a pain with either engine issues or starter motors so no doubt youll hear more from me soon haha, we also have a few citroen relays that have the same engine im still having a problem with that because i cant find software online to program the injectors after getting them changed
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 am

Kyle101 wrote:Ok thank you mate ill give that a try. i have a few transits that are recently becoming a pain with either engine issues or starter motors so no doubt youll hear more from me soon haha, we also have a few citroen relays that have the same engine im still having a problem with that because i cant find software online to program the injectors after getting them changed

Forscan is your friend.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kyle101 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:41 pm

oh okay mate so the forscan will program citroen relays????? ive seen it so many times when trying to buy software but i thought it only worked on ford transits

cheers, kyle.
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:25 am

Kyle101 wrote:oh okay mate so the forscan will program citroen relays????? ive seen it so many times when trying to buy software but i thought it only worked on ford transits

cheers, kyle.

If it's a Ford engine with Ford electronics, it should work.....but who really knows.??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kyle101 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:44 pm

thanks mate ill give that a try they are both cracking vans its just a shame they have these injector issues and all this having to program up everything you do. i used to have a F reg transit many moons ago and i never had a engine problem with it unfortunately it just loved to rust away resulting in its death haha
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kyle101 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:42 pm

hi knobrot i did the leak off test an hour ago, the 2 injectors on the left (timing chain side) one filled a full bottle in 4 mins and the 2nd one filled over 40 mil, the other 2 were just under 25 mil

i havent started the van for a day and a half either and noticed it threw quite a lot of blue smoke out which stunk of fuel (sounded shakey, like it was misfiring and very tappy) but normally in a morning it will be a cloud of white but half the amount of smoke....

is the blue smoke just an indication the injectors are knackered? had me a bit worried at first

thanks kyle.
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Sounds like 1 & 2 are screwed, are you sure it was blue smoke and not white, white smoke is unburnt fuel caused by the engine being cold, on cold mornings behind my van looks like the Somme with the smoke drifting across the grass :shock: maybe the glow plugs need replacing as well and the 2 injectors, don't forget you'll also need new clamp bolts.

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Kyle101 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:11 pm

Hi Ned thanks for the reply, yes it definitely looked like blue smoke there was quite a lot, normally its white and smokes much less, it was quite cold when i started it earlier where i am in manchester the windscreen was iced over also so must of been rather cold. when i unplugged injector one (the one that filled a bottle) it stopped smoking so could that be a failed glowplug ??? i do remember being told once that when it had a computer plugged in it for having a air flow sensor fault there was a code for a heater relay circuit but why would that only cause one cylinder to smoke so much? it was blue smoking when i first got it but that was due to failing injector washers as it chuffed through the oil filler and its not doing that so im guessing the seals are okay

thanks kyle.
Kyle101
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:24 pm

Was it that cold this morning, t'was about 5° here in sunny Cheshire :wink:

It copper washers may be faulty again, with you being in Manchester go to PF Jones for the injectors.

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions