*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Big electrical problems! Terminal?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Big electrical problems! Terminal?

Postby OuterMongolia » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:05 pm

I have no headlights ,dipped beam or full.No wipers or indicators or brake lights .No warning lights on the dashboard or speedometre.Two red warning lights at the top either side kept coming on even when the ignition was turned off! But now this has stopped and they dont come on at all . I have tail lights and the radio and the horn ,hazard lights work and the engine starts .The other night I thought I heard mice in the van again and I sprayed a bit of bleach and water under the dashboard to try and get rid of them.Perhaps I over did it with the water bit.I have checked all the fuses .What else can I check? I am praying its not a case of mice chewing the wires!! The other day the speedo kept trying to work ,but not very well and when I tried the wipers to see if they worked the speedo cut out again!Any ideas?
I have a 1999 MK5 Bannana Engined Transit Campervan
OuterMongolia
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Big electrical problems! Terminal?

Postby Mad Husky » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:32 pm

Don't know what the vehicle is but I would be removing as much of the dash as I can to check, in fact I would probably take it out along with the seats to look for infestation. But check wiring loom from battery as seems to be no power problem.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Noctule » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:48 am

Check the fusebox behind the battery, it may be one of the connections has worked loose.

Mat
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby OuterMongolia » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:39 pm

I now have the problem of the battery draining itself of all power!!! For my guess its the water I put in the top of the dashboard! Not to clever eh? Will it dry out?Should be negative terminal be getting hot or warm when starting or running for a while .
I have a 1999 MK5 Bannana Engined Transit Campervan
OuterMongolia
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions