*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

AWD Transit

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: AWD Transit

Postby wurzel » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 pm

Thats great news, glad you have got it sorted and very useful information for all us AWD owners.
Its a shame M J Allen weren't more forthcoming, they must know the system inside out but for some reason, probably some tie up with Ford, they wont help directly with owners. The main Ford agents dont seeem to know much.
I guess you willjust have to be careful when you get on hard ground for transmission 'wind up'
I still always reverse a few yards with mine when on solid ground just to make sure AWD has disengaged but that might just be a throw back to having the old County Transit, we know how fragile they are, belt and braces and all that.
If you were able to put up some pictures of what you did and the location of the solenoids it would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck
wurzel
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RustWidow » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 pm

I call that a result! Great news
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Airthies » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 pm

I thought they had a switch to turn on the AWD "on demand" is there not?

Did you connect wires direct to the solenoids?
Or join wires onto the original wiring?

Sent from my anu5 using crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mhanmore » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:20 pm

wurzel wrote:You could try ringing M J Allen who designed the AWD system for the Transit ... Their number is 01233 622214...

Just wanted to add a big thanks for that tip! I called the number when a dealership garage was banging on about axle lockup as an excuse for not testing a suspected issue in the steering on AWD. Extremely knowledgeable and helpful people! (and by the way, the knowledge is that each front wheel has a separate clutch so it operates as an open diff with no lock-up issues).
mhanmore

Postby wurzel » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:37 pm

That is what is so great about this forum, the sharing of collective information.
Thank you for the info re clutches, very interesting, may not be so paranoid about axle wind up but when you have owned a County it does leave you a little paranoid.
As a matter of interest, when I have my van MOT'ed I always remind them its AWD when they brake test it they don't use the roller brake tester, just the box of tricks in the footwell. Never a problem but it sounds like it might be ok for conventional brake test?
wurzel
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Chez-Ray » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:27 am

OK been away for a week so just caught up on this.
In answer to the Q about wiring - I bypassed the ABS by simply cutting the wires , I thought if I just tried to go via the original connection I would still be reliant on some function of the ABS module and in any case wasn't sure I could find which wire to put the 12 v through. I threaded a wire from the battery positive to a switch I put under the dash with a fuse ( 15a ) then back through one of the holes in the floor where the bulkhead had been screwed , then put it in plastic cover ( Gain ) and found a protected route to the cross member and followed the connection cable to the plug on the left side , cut the wires to the plug revealing 4 colour coded wires , attached two to the positive and the other two to another wire earthed to the body . Worked straight away. Used cable ties and a lot of insulation tape to protect the cable . I'll try and add some photos. NB Solenoids easy to find on either end of gearbox attached with small screw and easy to remove and test ( put 12v through and you here a small click if they are working .
P1010164.JPG
P1010162.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chez-Ray
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Georgeuk1980 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi, I can't see the pictures and I'm having problems with my 11 plate 4x4 could you please send the pictures of how did you fixed please. I have 3 wheels that are connected all the time and one that isn't.
Georgeuk1980

Postby josh manltman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:44 am

i have a similar problem, excuse me seeming 'thick' but could you tell me which wires you joined with which please? and where is the plug with the 4 wires in? i can only find 2x 2 wired plugs? im the same as you and would prefer it to come on with a button.
at the moment i've put a positive feed and ground feed to them and they dont seem to work? how likely is it both of them have gone at the same time?!!
am i realy that unlucky?!?!
josh manltman

Postby muirdale1964 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:28 pm

Chez-Ray wrote:OK been away for a week so just caught up on this.
In answer to the Q about wiring - I bypassed the ABS by simply cutting the wires , I thought if I just tried to go via the original connection I would still be reliant on some function of the ABS module and in any case wasn't sure I could find which wire to put the 12 v through. I threaded a wire from the battery positive to a switch I put under the dash with a fuse ( 15a ) then back through one of the holes in the floor where the bulkhead had been screwed , then put it in plastic cover ( Gain ) and found a protected route to the cross member and followed the connection cable to the plug on the left side , cut the wires to the plug revealing 4 colour coded wires , attached two to the positive and the other two to another wire earthed to the body . Worked straight away. Used cable ties and a lot of insulation tape to protect the cable . I'll try and add some photos. NB Solenoids easy to find on either end of gearbox attached with small screw and easy to remove and test ( put 12v through and you here a small click if they are working .
P1010164.JPG
P1010162.JPG

HI CAN U TELL ME THE WIRE COLOURS THAT GO TO POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE PLEASE IVE A 2009 van with the 4 wheel drive not working when I pulled the switch out it was disconnected and on plugging back in the light stayed on but AWD still not working
muirdale1964

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions