*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Power Boost (Brakes)

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Power Boost (Brakes)

Postby Marauder » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:17 am

I have a Bog standard 2008 2.2 FWD SWB. I have Just received new REAR Brake Discs and pads to fit to my Transit. The replacement Discs and Pads came with 2 black leads about a foot long.I thought that these leads would be for the brake wear indicators. But on the Box that the new Pads.Discs,Leads came in it said with Brake Boost !! How can 2 leads boost your brakes ??? Can some one explain to me Exactly what these 2 leads are for PLEASE as I plan on replacing the Discs on Monday.
Ford Transit 280 SWB,,Year 2008,,2.2,, If it can,t be fixed/repaired/ with a 4 pound lump hammer then it must be an electrical problem.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Power Boost (Brakes)

Postby loot » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:06 am

Got a picture of them?
Maybe foreign name, in Australia they call the disks rotors, yeah like my helicopter :lol:
I've heard mention that the transit has tandem brake boost system but never seen anything other than standard setup with wear indicator wires.

Probably fancy talk :roll:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby bigjohnthomas » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Stay vigilant
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:35 am

Give us a picture........

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Marauder » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:19 am

Sorry not possible to get a pic on here at moment problem with the cam on phone. But the Discs/Rotors look just like any other Discs/Rotors.Im now assuming that the pair of cables about a foot long must be for the Pad wear indicators light on the Dash. However I have not heard of this Brake Boost thing.. I will make a start on changing the Discs on Wed as I'm just waiting for my small bottle of Loctite to arrive as I'm planning on using the big centre Hub nuts again instead of buying new ones.
Ford Transit 280 SWB,,Year 2008,,2.2,, If it can,t be fixed/repaired/ with a 4 pound lump hammer then it must be an electrical problem.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Cider Andy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:20 am

ETIS build data for my 2006 and 2007 vans states they have "Power 4-Wheel Disc Vacuum Boost", but my 2011 van has no mention of it.

Obviously they all have a brake servo, which is the only thing I can imagine it means, but that wouldn't involve any wiring.
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:38 pm

Cider Andy wrote:ETIS build data for my 2006 and 2007 vans states they have "Power 4-Wheel Disc Vacuum Boost", but my 2011 van has no mention of it.

Obviously they all have a brake servo, which is the only thing I can imagine it means, but that wouldn't involve any wiring.

You're overthinking things....just replace the disks, pads and reconnect the pad wear looms and be done with it.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:23 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Cider Andy wrote:ETIS build data for my 2006 and 2007 vans states they have "Power 4-Wheel Disc Vacuum Boost", but my 2011 van has no mention of it.

You're overthinking things....just replace the disks, pads and reconnect the pad wear looms and be done with it.

Lord Knobrot
But he's got the specail booster cables Sir knobby, bet you've got yer booster cables fitted so you've got maximum boost available upon pressing of pedal sir

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Marauder » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Ok Guys today I started to remove old Disc and pads also have managed to get that big Nut undone (What a Game) So wheel off, Torx bolts removed, Big hub Nut now off,, Any ideas HOW to get the assembly off I thought that the hub/and Disc/Rotor would just pull off so I could then set about getting the old Disc off (using the wheel and bolt method ) I started to undo the 4 bolts on the rear but stopped and thought IS it Necessary to undo the 4 bolts on the rear to remove the hub ????
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andz327 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Marauder wrote:Ok Guys today I started to remove old Disc and pads also have managed to get that big Nut undone (What a Game) So wheel off, Torx bolts removed, Big hub Nut now off,, Any ideas HOW to get the assembly off I thought that the hub/and Disc/Rotor would just pull off so I could then set about getting the old Disc off (using the wheel and bolt method ) I started to undo the 4 bolts on the rear but stopped and thought IS it Necessary to undo the 4 bolts on the rear to remove the hub ????
Enlighten me please regarding wheel and bolt technique for disc removal

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Hub nut
Caliper bolts
Remove caliper and wind back piston
Remove caliper bracket
Remove hub
Remove disc bolts
Split disc from hub
Fit new disc to hub tighten bolts
Fit hub onto stub axle and tighten the fook oot the nut
Check caliper slides are good
Fit caliper bracket and tighten bolts
Fit brake pad anti rattle shims
Fit brake pads
Bolt caliper back on making sure nib on back of pad fits into slot on piston
Bobs yer aunty

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Marauder » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:20 am

As per what you said. EXCEPT Hub wont pull off that stub axle.??????? I don't why not. Going to try a Hub puller later on !
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:49 am

Marauder wrote:As per what you said. EXCEPT Hub wont pull off that stub axle.??????? I don't why not. Going to try a Hub puller later on !

You may need a new bearing :wink: and a stub if you are unlucky :(
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Marauder » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:03 am

Ok Guys, The Latest. I now have the Hub off,I checked and re-checked I had removed anything Holding the Hub. I put my thinking cap on and got my old trusty Hub Puller I had laying under my Bench. Fitted it to the Hub and after a few Tons of pressure the Hub started to move,It fort me all the way until the Hub came off, The reason I think who ever changed the last set of Discs and Pads never put any type of grease on the stub axle as when I removed the Hub from the Stub Axle everything was rusty and dry not allowing any movement. So there you have it,now I have to go all over it again on the offside next.... I have cleaned up the Stub Axle and ordered a new Hub with Bearings,,( Things like this only happen to me lol)
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:44 am

Marauder wrote:Ok Guys, The Latest. I now have the Hub off,I checked and re-checked I had removed anything Holding the Hub. I put my thinking cap on and got my old trusty Hub Puller I had laying under my Bench. Fitted it to the Hub and after a few Tons of pressure the Hub started to move,It fort me all the way until the Hub came off, The reason I think who ever changed the last set of Discs and Pads never put any type of grease on the stub axle as when I removed the Hub from the Stub Axle everything was rusty and dry not allowing any movement. So there you have it,now I have to go all over it again on the offside next.... I have cleaned up the Stub Axle and ordered a new Hub with Bearings,,( Things like this only happen to me lol)

I didn't even bother with trying to pull the hub out of the bearings, just replaced the lot when I had a bearing die....bought two lots, pressed them together and now have a spare assy in my shed ready to go when the other bearing finally dies.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions