*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

PCM programming

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

PCM programming

Postby Cider Andy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:57 am

I've been looking around for a replacement QVFA engine for my LWB high roof FWD T300 mk7 that doesn't cost twice as much as the van's worth, but without success. I do have a good P8FA engine but I didn't think Ford had ever put the 85bhp engine in a van this size. It turns out I'm wrong; they did!

So the current plan is to fit the P8FA and mess around with the QVFA on the bench* with a view to refitting it if all it needs is a timing chain. Which brings me on to the PCM. I'll be setting the existing PCM aside so it can be simply refitted if I go back to the original engine. Meanwhile I'll be fitting the PCM that's mapped for the 85bhp engine. Will I need to do anything with the replacement PCM in terms of programming it?

*by "bench" I mean this. In the winter. Yippee. You guys with workshops don't know you're born.....

Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: PCM programming

Postby knobby1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:41 pm

I think you just need to let all the other modules know you've changed the PCM, they all talk to each other to some degree.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cider Andy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:31 pm

So it's just injector codes, pilot & pump learns?
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andz327 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:41 pm

Cider Andy wrote:So it's just injector codes, pilot & pump learns?
No need to change PCM, just put your electronic turbo onto new engine and plop it in and turn the key, with just the injectors to code and do learns or put you injectors in in same order and just do learns
I've had a couple of chains snap on my own 130 and it done no damage, and im not lucky in any shapae or form maybe worth checking before pulling the engine oot
And just to let you know i fitted solid mass flywheel around 200,000 miles ago and never had a problem, used luk clutch parts for 85ps and 110ps which are solid mass but mine is only 5sp
ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby paul2012 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:10 pm

QVFA (110ps) engines, pistons have oil cooled crowns & P8FA (85ps) don't. :idea:

P8FA (85ps) pistons

IMG_1255.JPG

QVFA (110ps) pistons
IMG_1303.JPG

To be blunt. P8FA (85ps) have different pistons than QVFA (110ps) :!:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:10 pm

paul2012 wrote:QVFA (110ps) engines, pistons have oil cooled crowns & P8FA (85ps) don't. :idea:

P8FA (85ps) pistons

IMG_1255.JPG

QVFA (110ps) pistons
IMG_1303.JPG

To be blunt. P8FA (85ps) have different pistons than QVFA (110ps) :!:
Yuip your right but he's not swapping pistons he's changing engines until his is sorted, personally I'd fix the timing chain problem rather than swap, i only changed over to my electronic turbo and put my own injectors in last December, I've done 65,000mls since but i guess it doesn't work

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cider Andy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:53 am

andz327 wrote:... I'd fix the timing chain problem rather than swap, i only changed over to my electronic turbo...

The problem is, I don't know if it is the timing chain. It could be a cracked piston or even something else. My reasoning is it will be easier to diagnose and repair on the bench than in the van, plus I have to get the 85 out of the scrap van and get rid of the shell off the yard so I'll have it to hand anyway. It's probably easier to remove and replace the engine/gearbox as a unit than to dismantle the engine in the van (he said, hopefully!!!).

The PCM issue comes down to the fuelling map which, logically, must reside on the PCM? Because of the difference in the pistons between the 85 and the 110 I don't want to be running the 85 at a higher output and risk melting the piston crowns!

(Both 85 and 110 have the same mechanically actuated turbo. Or, at least these two are the same....).
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby andz327 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Cider Andy wrote:
andz327 wrote:... I'd fix the timing chain problem rather than swap, i only changed over to my electronic turbo...

The problem is, I don't know if it is the timing chain. It could be a cracked piston or even something else. My reasoning is it will be easier to diagnose and repair on the bench than in the van, plus I have to get the 85 out of the scrap van and get rid of the shell off the yard so I'll have it to hand anyway. It's probably easier to remove and replace the engine/gearbox as a unit than to dismantle the engine in the van (he said, hopefully!!!).

The PCM issue comes down to the fuelling map which, logically, must reside on the PCM? Because of the difference in the pistons between the 85 and the 110 I don't want to be running the 85 at a higher output and risk melting the piston crowns!

(Both 85 and 110 have the same mechanically actuated turbo. Or, at least these two are the same....).
Its up to you mate but mine is a 130 and don't have any problems 65,000mls on and she cruises at 100mph frequently
Good luck

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions