*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

fuel line return fuel out ie to injectors at pump&sender

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

fuel line return fuel out ie to injectors at pump&sender

Postby Ecotec » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi I have two ford transits the older model a 2002 we had to give a different power plant that is a commodore V6 Ecotec and four speed automatic gearbox, we had to customise aluminium fuel tank as we had to make room for the extra engine pipe on the left hand side (passenger) being a v configuration, using the original sender I have it all back together ready connect fuel lines to the engine, what I need to know is which colour fuel fitting is the return line and which colour is the pumped line I have a white connection at the top of sender as well as a red one, can someone help me out? Thanks
Ecotec

Re: fuel line return fuel out ie to injectors at pump&sender

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:08 am

Turn the ignition on and see which one covers you in fuel..!! :mrgreen:

Have you modified the fuel system from diesel to petrol or was it a petrol van to start with?? We have no way of knowing what configuration you have.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ecotec » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:57 am

There is no fuel in the new tank yet to try that one and I can't fit tank till I fit the plug in return and pump, plus everything is still disconnected and battery disconnected.
Ecotec

Postby Ecotec » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:02 am

And no it's the origanal system ie unleaded fuel. There was some pictures some guy (on this forum)put up showing how to pull the actual pump out of the unit which is exactly the same pump and sender as mine at th top of the sender and pump unit there is a white plug in point as well as a red plug in point that guy could probably tell me what I need to know ie which one is return line and pump line.
Ecotec

Postby Mad Husky » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:11 pm

Just wondering if they are different sizes ? if so they will only go on one way. just a thought.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:52 pm

Can you not energize the pump outside the tank to find out which is which..??

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ecotec » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:40 am

I'm s really awkward to get the tank back out and pull the pump back out if I did I could tell by the pick up ie filter and that's tha pump side I just didn't think to take note of that that's why I thought maybe some one here would definitely know like I'm here in Australia and I've asked ford dealerships do they know they either don't or not bothered that's why I joined this forum to see if without being hammered with the obvious (turn the ignition on see which one pumps out) yer right I'm an ex mechanic so altough that's and obvious answer it doesn't suit the situation I can't turn the car over all the electics are immobilised as its a full motor and transmition conversion I'm trying to get everything connected as much as I can do the it goes to the auto electrision. Both the points are the same size at the top of the fuel pump/sender, is there any one out the in my mother land who can help me lol all I need to know is which is the return line (white or red) and which is the pump (white or red) both same size 2.3 litre unleaded 2002 ford transit. Thanks
Ecotec

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:57 am

Are the line connectors not colour coded?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Ecotec » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:16 am

No mate they are not color coded and as I mentioned same connections so either can be swapped, I appreciate you guys helping it's just so frustrating what seems an easy question no one knows lol :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ecotec

Postby Ecotec » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:26 am

This
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ecotec

Postby Ecotec » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:30 am

This is the Ecotec motor I fitted it's very similar to the first V6 Holden put in their commodore which was a Buick V6 a very robust and powerful engine this is a full cast iron block with cast iron heads, Holden changed to full cast alloy engines a few years after 2004 I think a very bad move, you can't beat the old cast iron blocks.
Ecotec

Postby Ecotec » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:58 am

By
Ecotec

Postby knobby1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:14 am

You need to remember 95% of transits on here are diesel....so very few would know anything about petrol powered machines. Diesels don't have an in-tank pump either.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:17 am

Ecotec wrote:Hi I have two ford transits the older model a 2002 we had to give a different power plant that is a commodore V6 Ecotec and four speed automatic gearbox, we had to customise aluminium fuel tank as we had to make room for the extra engine pipe on the left hand side (passenger) being a v configuration, using the original sender I have it all back together ready connect fuel lines to the engine, what I need to know is which colour fuel fitting is the return line and which colour is the pumped line I have a white connection at the top of sender as well as a red one, can someone help me out? Thanks
You could've kept tank where it was and just turbo'd it with the left exhaust pipe round the back of the engine over g/box to conect to fabricated turbo manifold , then one big pipe to down the righthand side to the rear.......
Just saying

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:22 am

Ecotec wrote:There is no fuel in the new tank yet to try that one and I can't fit tank till I fit the plug in return and pump, plus everything is still disconnected and battery disconnected.
Do both pipes fit both sender unit fitments ???..... They're usually different so you can't mix them up
Have you actually tried fitting pipes on ??

ANDZ
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions