*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Duratorq ASM conversion to a manual (UK)

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Duratorq ASM conversion to a manual (UK)

Postby dargie25 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:56 am

Hi all :)
Im basically looking for a garage or person in the UK who can convert from the dreaded ASM gear system back to a normal manual.
The Van is a 2003 t330 90hp RWD, I think its either short or medium wheelbase but Im not sure. The van is a camper conversion by autosleeper and as far as I know came with the semi automatic from new. I have absolutely no mechanical skill or knowledge so Id need someone who can do the whole job including sourcing the right parts and reprogramming the ECU. Im in the northwest of england if thats any help :)

Trying to drive the van up a not so steep hill and having the gearbox not bite was enough to convince me to try to get it converted, not to mention the costs of repairing these ASM systems if they go wrong :lol:
dargie25
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Duratorq ASM conversion to a manual (UK)

Postby Punto443 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 am

Try Karl, he’s in Manchester

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=71815
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby dargie25 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:04 am

Contacted Karl and waiting a reply, in the meantime iv been looking more into just getting the local garage to do this so ive been looking about gathering informtion. A couple of questions for anyone who might know:

1. As long as the ecu is reprogrammed, there should absolutly no rewiring needed, is that correct? Iv seen a few mentions of having to rewire the ignition switch but only a few.

2. none of the control systems for the auto box actually need removing other than the hydraulic pump and hoses , I can simply remove the apropriate fuses and leave all the relays, TCU ect in place, correct?

So my plan is:
1. get the local garage to replace the whole gearbox with a used standard manual with the gearstick already attached
2. get them to install the clutch pedal, master and slave cylinders and 'clutch connection pipe' (no idea what the correct name is)
3. plug in the ecu reprogrammed by van tuner
4. success?

Is that it, anything I missed?
dargie25
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Lmiller » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:27 pm

Hello mate did you ever get this converted? I need to do my one too.

Cheers
Lmiller

Postby knobby1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:42 pm

Lmiller wrote:Hello mate did you ever get this converted? I need to do my one too. Cheers

He hasn't visited the forum since the 13th of March this year so l doubt you'll get a reply.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Bean42 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:23 am

For anyone who comes across this post, we have been fighting the ASM fight in the UK, our local mechanic had no great difficulty doing the mechanical part, other than sourcing the parts needed. I'm speaking on his behalf, so he may well think differently, but it seemed more a problem of parts than mechanic'ing.

Getting the ECU reprogrammed fell at the first fence (a main Transit dealer), my opinion of them is unprintable. We are exploring alternatives, once we've tried them (and hopefully they worked) I'll try my best to remember and amend my comments here.

I know our biggest problem has been information and there are a fair few of these Autosleeper Duetto's with ASM that may be facing the same problem as us, so doing my best to share what I know.

Bean
Bean42
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Just a couple of ideas to throw into the mix:-

1/ Have you had a word with Vantuner to see if he has any advice about ECU reprogramming :?:

2/ Could you fit an ECU from a manual van, there must be some around robbed from rusty Mk6s
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Bean42 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:09 pm

Altransit wrote:Just a couple of ideas to throw into the mix:-

1/ Have you had a word with Vantuner to see if he has any advice about ECU reprogramming :?:

2/ Could you fit an ECU from a manual van, there must be some around robbed from rusty Mk6s

Emailed Vantuner on Sunday and within minutes he replied he thought he could sort it. Mechanic popped the ECU in the post on Monday, hopefully it's on it's way back to the mechanic and will soon know how it's gone, many fingers are crossed.

Snaffling an ECU from a manual is definitely one of the Plan B's.
Bean42
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:52 pm

Thanks for keeping us posted, and just to say that if Martyn can't sort it, there's probably no-one else on the planet who can, so let's keep fingers crossed :D
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Bean42 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:06 am

Altransit wrote:Thanks for keeping us posted, and just to say that if Martyn can't sort it, there's probably no-one else on the planet who can, so let's keep fingers crossed :D

I gather he did do it, ECU back in the van and it's running. Some more shakedown and it looks like a successful auto to manual swap, phew! NOW I have to wait for lock-down to be over before I can take the van out!

Even more frustrating I can't even drive it, cancer got to the ribs and cracked at least one, so no driving for me for a while, fortunately wife drives so once we are allowed out we will be able to.
Bean42
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:59 pm

Good result for the van, but not so good news for you :(

I hope that you're sorted quickly :)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby WheelyBigBox » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:05 pm

I know i'll regret asking.. but why is everyone so against the ASM thing?

Mine is a 2002.. did i do something stupid buying it?
2002 Mk6 2.4L T330 (Turbo) 90HP with Auto gearbox / clutch / shifter.

Also has a built in brown trouser momenter due to the novel rear suspension and a "this'll cost a lot to fix" thought generator :!:
WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:18 pm

WheelyBigBox wrote:I know i'll regret asking.. but why is everyone so against the ASM thing?

Mine is a 2002.. did i do something stupid buying it?

If they work OK then there's no problem, the issue being that there's very little knowledge around, and not many spares to be found.

Having said that, there are quite a few posts on here with some good information, mainly from Australia, where these seem to be more common, than the UK :)
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby WheelyBigBox » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Hmm fair enough i suppose. This wouldn't be the first motor i've had thats incredibly light on tech details when something goes wrong. There's a Ren-oh parked outside that's been a source of "inspiration" in that regard :mrgreen: I guess the main advantage is that it's not a real autobox but a manual with two robots bolted on for the clutch and stick. I guess if anything goes wrong it's not the box itself but the robot which will want taking to bits.

Guess i better get auto car sorted out to keep me mobile lol
2002 Mk6 2.4L T330 (Turbo) 90HP with Auto gearbox / clutch / shifter.

Also has a built in brown trouser momenter due to the novel rear suspension and a "this'll cost a lot to fix" thought generator :!:
WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Bean42 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 am

WheelyBigBox wrote:Hmm fair enough i suppose. This wouldn't be the first motor i've had thats incredibly light on tech details when something goes wrong. There's a Ren-oh parked outside that's been a source of "inspiration" in that regard :mrgreen: I guess the main advantage is that it's not a real autobox but a manual with two robots bolted on for the clutch and stick. I guess if anything goes wrong it's not the box itself but the robot which will want taking to bits.

Guess i better get auto car sorted out to keep me mobile lol

Not unusual in late model Autosleeper Duettos (2005/2006), it seems to be fine while it works, but spare parts seem to be very rare (I've read figures in multiple thousands), Ford (and their dealers) wash their hands of it. To maintain it you also need access to diagnostic tools to do everything - like adjust the clutch bite point, bleed the hydraulic fluid (also used to operate the gear change not just the clutch)

We took a risk when we bought our low mileage Motorhome (45,000) back in September, but decided since it could be swapped to take the risk. Within a month it had failed and we had to follow plan B. There seems to be a lot of experience of this and of the swap to manual over in Australia, but a dearth of knowledge and experience over here. However it is doable.

I was perfectly happy with it while it worked, but always was ready if it failed. Our mechanic was learning and sourcing parts so it took a long time elapsed (over 2 months) but I suspect would be a lot quicker if he was asked to do it again :D
Bean42
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions