*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cooling issue

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Cooling issue

Postby Johnsy72 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:59 am

Ok so I have a mk6 2.0 2003 transit and all has been going well until the weekend on my way to a job,I noticed the heaters blowing cold...so I went to investigate,I’ve out in a new thermostat and the engine gets to temperature and the fan cuts in but heater still blows cold and hot water is being pumped out of what looks like an overflow hole on the header tank,initially the temp gauge will go up to half for a split second then return and stay at about quarter way but I’ve had no overheating at the moment,I’m quite puzzled now,I don’t know if it’s a blockage,airlock,maybe needs new water pump or even heater matrix any help on this would be so much appreciated as I bought the van to start a small business for me and my son as I’m a single dad you can imagine it’s early days with the business and cash is not majorly available,
Thankyou all in adavance.
Johnsy72

Re: Cooling issue

Postby headbolt » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:30 am

sounds like a water pump issue splines between power stearing pump and water pump are prone for wearing out then no drive to water pump advice to replace both at the same time
MK6 125 BHP 330 rwd 2.4
headbolt
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Johnsy72 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:19 am

headbolt wrote:sounds like a water pump issue splines between power stearing pump and water pump are prone for wearing out then no drive to water pump advice to replace both at the same time

Thankyou so much for your help buddy really means a lot,so replace water pump and power steering pump?
Johnsy72

Postby knobby1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:12 pm

Johnsy72 wrote:
headbolt wrote:sounds like a water pump issue splines between power stearing pump and water pump are prone for wearing out then no drive to water pump advice to replace both at the same time

Thankyou so much for your help buddy really means a lot,so replace water pump and power steering pump?

Common problem on the FWD's, only replace them if the splines are shot. A bit silly to replace them if not needed.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Johnsy72 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:06 pm

Well Ive ordered new water pump and steering pump,the splines on the waterpump were very nearly flat so Thankyou guys for you’re advice and knowledge,I love this place
Johnsy72

Postby knobby1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:26 pm

Johnsy72 wrote:Well Ive ordered new water pump and steering pump,the splines on the waterpump were very nearly flat so Thankyou guys for you’re advice and knowledge,I love this place

Result.. :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Naglfar » Sun May 05, 2019 8:40 am

knobby1 wrote:
Johnsy72 wrote:

Common problem on the FWD's, only replace them if the splines are shot. A bit silly to replace them if not needed.

Lord Knobrot

Hi! I was just wondering when you say this is a common issue with 2.0 FWD transit, how long should one expect a new waterpump with new PAS pump last? A bit more than 2 years with about 40 000 - 50 000 km? I've had a hard time getting longer than that without having the waterpump splines all worn out....
Anyway, here is a thread which shows some of my experience on this matter: https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139488&p=1644854#p1159974
2001 MK6 2.0 TDDI 100T300
2002 Mk6 2.0 TDDI 260
Naglfar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions