*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Someone to swap a gearbox

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Someone to swap a gearbox

Postby eurokiwitransit » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for someone around the South of England to swap a gearbox for me. Long story short, I have a 2011 AWD 2.4TDCI transit with a buggered bearing in the gearbox. I have sourced a 2nd hand gearbox in the North of England, however I need someone closer to me to swap it. I'll also need an MOT at the same time, however this doesn't need to be done by the same person.

Can anybody recommend somebody for the job? I will be getting the ferry from France to Dover and will drive directly to whoever can swap the box for me, then get an MOT, then back on a ferry to France.

Any tips appreciated! Cheers.
eurokiwitransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Someone to swap a gearbox

Postby Mad Husky » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:56 pm

Forgive me if i am being stupid here but if the gearbox is in the north of england why not get them to change it, otherwise you got to collect it and then transport it to whoever you use.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby eurokiwitransit » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:33 pm

Mad Husky wrote:Forgive me if i am being stupid here but if the gearbox is in the north of england why not get them to change it, otherwise you got to collect it and then transport it to whoever you use.

Sorry maybe I wasn't very clear on my situation!

I am not in England - I am in Central Europe and there are no AWD gearboxes for my van here (the only ones I can find are in England). So I need to drive my van to England with the existing gearbox. The ferry from France will take me to Dover in the South of England. So i'd like to limit how far from Dover I have to drive to get the gearbox swapped out (I will have the replacement gearbox sent to whoever can do the g/box swap further South so it's ready when I get there). Once it's swapped, I'll be straight back to Dover and back on the next ferry back into Europe. Hope that makes sense!
eurokiwitransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mad Husky » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:44 pm

Just thinking that it was an expensive way to do it that was all.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby eurokiwitransit » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Mad Husky wrote:Just thinking that it was an expensive way to do it that was all.

The cost to send the box is 45 quid but the cost of me driving from Dover to Manchester and back would be at least that plus a day or two of my time so it should work out quicker and cheaper getting it sent to the South and cutting down travel time.
eurokiwitransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions